Best source for Press Plates?

AmericanMachinist

Registered
Registered
I acquired a new to me 30T press with a 20T Jack (currently).

Unfortunately, while the USA frame was worth the cost, it lacks press plates. I knew they are expensive, but currently a set is $330!

I'm going to keep an eye out for cheap scrap but assume I'm unlikely to find two roughly-11" squares about 1.5" thick.

Any creative ideas where to find something like this? Thanks for any tips.

Do you have a scrap yard near you?

Yes, a scrapyard in town. Just not sure how likely I am to find something suitable without the ability to stop by on a regular basis.

Not cheap, but they are high quality plates of a known material, selected for the purpose. And, they mail them via Flat Rate USPS. I've got a 50T press, and had no desire to apply that kind of pressure to plates of unknown origin right in front of my face. YMMV.

My understanding is the issue is with cast plates, vs actual plate steel. I assume hardened also isn't good as they might crack. Regular soft mild steel (hot rolled or cold finished) is the goal, right?

Not knowing how the people are at your local scrap yard , the one I go to has an area that has items set aside for people to pick up later , you might be able to offer someone there scrap price plus $50 to set aside your plate .

Was going to suggest the Swag Off-road plates also. They are a little pricy but are well made and are a known material. If you get lucky and find some heavy plate at the scrapyard that is another great option as well.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Yes, a scrapyard in town. Just not sure how likely I am to find something suitable without the ability to stop by on a regular basis.
I have had good luck by making a list with sketches and descriptions in English and Spanish and offering tips for the ordinary things and rewards for the specialty items. Remember that the workers at the salvage yard typically have no idea what anything is or the names of the machines or parts.

I have the SWAG Off-road plates and think they are worth the cost.

Back