Best source for Press Plates?

My understanding is the issue is with cast plates, vs actual plate steel. I assume hardened also isn't good as they might crack. Regular soft mild steel (hot rolled or cold finished) is the goal, right?
Yes, cast would be a definite no go. We don't have much in the way of choices for scrap here, let alone getting scrap of a known alloy. I priced just buying a pair of 12"x12"x1-1/2" plates of a known alloy from a steel supplier, and the SWAG plates were cheaper, cut to shape, machined flat top and bottom, and delivered to my front door.

@Eyerelief , I am curious for what you drilled and tapped?
I added a section of aluminum round bar to the bottom of each plate to aid in stabilizing them on my press table. Some add four pins to do this. I did a 4" round bar so that I could spin the plates to any degree I wanted. Helps me when I want to use the corners of the plates. I only needed to drill one blind hole instead of four.
I did a post on the project back in September (under shop presses I think) but I'm not smart enough to add a link. Here is a picture

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 10
I don't think I have put 20 tons on them yet, but I have put well over 10 tons, likely closer to 15 on them. I estimate this because my air over hydraulic needs 175 psi to reach its max of 20 ton. I have my regulator set to 160 psi so I know when I am approaching the limit. Last few pumps on the jack I do by hand. I have had to do that a few times. Don't think I could ever say that I have seen 20 ton because that would mean the press stopped. I haven't experienced that yet either.

My bed rails are spaced at roughly 4.15", the aluminum you see in the photo is 4" in diameter. I haven't seen anything that showed these plates flex or deflect under the pressures I have applied. YMMV

Back