Best tool for cutting small diameter metal <= 1/4"

If using a collet mounted stop, be aware that the seating depth of the collet will vary with the amount of force used to close the collet. Joe Pieczynski did a great video on the subject.
A better strategy for repeatable precision lengths is to use a stop fixed to the spindle. That way the part is referenced to the spindle and therefore the lathe bed. Here was my answer to that.
Guess I was not clear. I did make a spindle stop but had to add a screw-on tip to fit inside the collet for the .186" diameter of the screw I was cutting. The rod for my spindle stop was 5/16" which was too big.

When I make small screws (model steam crankpins) they usually fall 'around' 2mm or 0.086. (2-56) If the length is important, I use a homemade pin vise of a known depth chucked in the 4 jaw. Most times I work 1/8 (0.125) brazing rod. But I'm only making 8 pieces at any given time. Plus the 10 or 12 that are scrapped. . . There are occasionally larger or smaller screws for restorations, but only one or two pieces. I do use a great deal of 1/16 (0.062) brazing rod, but mostly for shafting where the length isn't too critical. For screws in smaller sizes it's more 'make it fit and file the excess'. I have made a 3-48 screw then tapped the inside for 0-80. But that was a one off, the idea didn't work out.

For 3/16 (#10) screws, they are pretty big. I usually purchase what I need and cut and file to the length required. Cutting threads, I usually use the cutter to a "V-sharp" profile. The Unified was set up to allow tool wear in a production environment. I usually use HSS cutters, carbide doesn't do small threads that well. An easy cutoff for larger threads is to use a block with the proper size hole and a cutoff shear like is made on electrical crimpers. For making a large number that is likely the simplest. The big issue is calibrating the thickness of the shim block. It might take several tries.

I did once make some 5/16 cap screws for a Jeep restoration with a 10-24 in the head.(electrical) But only a dozen or so. And ex-military rigs like the M48A1 are very forgiving about 'exact' fits. So I guess I must say the concept given is beyond my experience.

Back