Best way to chamfer a 45 degree edge

sfsteel

Registered
Registered
I have a rectangular piece of steel that is 1x2x3. What is the best way to chamfer the sharp 90 degree edges to 45 degrees? I’m looking on amazon for “chamfered end mills”, and I get a bunch of woodworking router cutters and countersink bits (assuming for wood?).

I was thinking I could use a 45 degree cutter, and just kiss the edge to knock off the corner.

I supposed I could angle the head of my mill to achieve it, but that is kind of a pain.

What’s the standard procedure for this result?

Thanks!

Look for inserted chamfering tools. They come in all sorts of angles.

If it is an option, just tilt the head to 45 degrees and cut the chamfer with an ordinary end mill. It is no big deal to tilt it, do the job, and tilt it back.
Edit: Use the side of the end mill for cutting.

A 90 degree (two 45's) countersink would work, or 82 or 100 degrees (who is measuring it?), I have done that. Not at good as the side of an end mill at 45 degrees to the work though.

Spotting drills , fly cutter with a straight bit , a ground broken centerdrill , engraving tools , the list goes on . ;) I wouldn't go tilting my head for a chamfer .

Use a mill drill with a 90 degree point. Align it to cut the edge touching the fixed jaw and simply rotate the part to do all the edges.

Google, "Single Angle Chamfer Mill". Various options to suit your wallet. I now have an 'insert' job. Use it all the time.

‘45 degree inverted dovetail cutter’ is another search term to use.

If it’s a quick 1-off job, grind the angle onto a fly cutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back