Best Way To Clean A Deburring Stone?

I use a 4" round bench stone a lot, and blast it out with carb cleaner when it gets loaded up. Periodically I have to true it up by chucking it in the lathe and giving it a dust off with a diamond wheel dresser.
Eeek!!!! Not on my lathes!!!!

My suggestion for flattening a oil stone is to take a piece of steel plate about a foot square by 3/4" to 1" thick. If torch cut, grind off TC edges so no positive metal sticking up. Flood it with mineral spirits and start honing the plate. Consistently rotating your stone about 90 degrees per stroke. Keep adding mineral spirits and stroke the stone for about five minutes. By now the stone should be flat. If it still shows low spots that did not get touched, keep honing, you will eventually get it flat. Plus, you will wind up with a reasonable flat piece of steel plate! Surface plate quality, maybe.

Don't be so scared........the lathe I use for that was considered wore out 10 yrs before I got it.
Besides that, I do it wet. Lay a towel over the ways and use coolant.

I use a 4" round bench stone a lot, and blast it out with carb cleaner when it gets loaded up. Periodically I have to true it up by chucking it in the lathe and giving it a dust off with a diamond wheel dresser.
Lathes are not properly set up to create a flat end face by facing. They are ordinarily set up for facing a slightly dished face on the work, lower in the center. Of course an old utility lathe like yours could be adjusted to create a flat face, but it is a fairly fussy job involving rotating the head stock on the bed carefully until you get the results you want. Stones really need to be flat. I have inherited quite a few stones that are swayback and completely loaded with swarf and gunk, unusable, IMO until clean and flattened properly.

I don't know what kind of lathes you have, but I know mine cuts square. It may have changed some in the last 15 yrs, but the inspection sheet says it's within .0003" over 12 ". That's square enough for the girls I date.....

Thanks for all of the info. I will apply these methods to my stones as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Chris

I don't know what kind of lathes you have, but I know mine cuts square. It may have changed some in the last 15 yrs, but the inspection sheet says it's within .0003" over 12 ". That's square enough for the girls I date.....
Inspection sheet? 15 years old? Do yourself a favor and put an accurate straightedge across a large diameter facing cut made on your lathe. It takes about 30 seconds to find out what you have there. A slight dish in the center does not cause issues on most work, while a slight high center often causes problems. Inspection sheets, especially on Asian machines, are not worth the paper they are pencil whipped on. That machine WILL go out the door, regardless. "A single good test is worth a million expert opinions..."

If you do not like what you find, adjust it!

Back