Best way to connect three 10awg wires together

Wirenuts... or twist connectors, are NEC (national elec code) approved... for specific wire size groups to specific color wirenuts.

First, be sure NONE of the wires are aluminum... that requires a special wirenut.
There is a specific length of the wire that needs to be bare (stripped).
Hold all the wires in one hand, with the ends parallel and the tips even, then twist all three of these bare wires together with linemans pliers (cutters) for a neat and clean twist... be sure the twist is 'clockwise'.
Then apply the wirenut onto the twist.

If you really want to make it secure, get some NoLux and put a small amount onto the twisted set. NoLux is basically silicon grease with carbon particles in it (messy). It coats the wires and both protects from corrosion as well as improving electrical conduction. Thing is... if the connection gets 'hot' the NoLux can run... thus creating a conductive path. So do not over-apply.

If it were me, I would tape up each large wirenut joint... just to hold it together and keep it separate from the others.

Hope all this helps... :)

GA

Use eye stakons and bolt them together solidly. Wrap in varnished cambric tape, insulation putty, then finally in electrical tape.

Or you could bolt them and wrap tightly in electrical tape until there are no sharp edges felt around the "bug"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you read the container the wirenuts are contained in, you will find a list of wire combinations the connector is approved for. And it specifically states
"DO NOT TWIST WIRES BEFORE INSTALLING CONNECTOR".
I agree, tape is the sign of a true amateur.
Just follow the instructions on the container.

I am an Electrician. We always tape our wire nuts on motor loads... Non motor loads, not so much...

We also always twist the wires before wire nutting...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Electrician also. Twisting causes a poor connection. The wire nut has a spring inside to compress the wires together. Twisting prevents the spring from doing this. Imagine trying to compress a spring. Straight wires side-by-side will be held together by the wire nut at the proper contact pressure. Tape won't hurt but is unnecessary on a properly installed wire nut. Real nit-pick NFPA 79-2007,( Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery) 13.5.9.2 states, "Electrical connections at motor terminal boxes shall be made with an identified method of connection. Twist-on wire connections shall not be used for this purpose." Really only applies to industrial machinery construction, not your home shop. Just thought I'd throw it out there before someone complains about wire nuts in a motor

Last edited:
Was taught to twist them... Never had a problem...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Twisting them is fine. It holds them in place while you apply the wire nut, which is going to twist them anyway.

I'm the quirky one so I like to group the bare ends then wrap with a few turns of 22ga bare copper wire, then solder, then heat-shrink. It's a good method when space in the box is limited and the wires are big. Also good for old motor wires with crumbling insulation; no twisting.
Mark S.

I am running 10awg to a couple of machines and question what other options are there (code and safety wise) that would be better than trying to twist connector 3 of them together at a junction box.
Compression is always best.
Just twist and solder, then wrap with tape?

Cheers Phil
You should not use solder for electrical connections unless it is backed up by a secure mechanical connection that won't fall apart if the solder melts. Don't rely on vinyl tape as insulation: it always drys up and falls off. Heatshrink is best.

Personally, when connecting wires together for machinery, I always use Sta-Kon ring terminals, screwed together with machine screws and nuts and wrapped with 3M Scotch 33 electrical tape. This method has worked well for me in industrial application for many years.

Ted

Back