Best way to connect three 10awg wires together

If you read the container the wirenuts are contained in, you will find a list of wire combinations the connector is approved for. And it specifically states
"DO NOT TWIST WIRES BEFORE INSTALLING CONNECTOR".
I agree, tape is the sign of a true amateur.
Just follow the instructions on the container.

Yes, having worked in the outdoor sign business I learned this procedure to be true.

The auto industry [GM anyway] always used sta-kon lugs held with screws & nuts then thoroughly covered with several wraps of 3M #33 tape. They occasionally used cambric tape on the connections ahead of the 3M tape but apparently phased that out where I worked during the 1980s [at least in Flint, MI]. Motors above about 30 hp. sometimes had set screw lugs on the leads. One advantage of using lugs over wire nuts is that the stripped wire ends don't get damaged from repeated motor replacement. My practice here is, if the motors come with lugs on the leads I'll use them & if not I'll use wire nuts & tape them for 480V connections. Also, I prefer hard plastic wire nuts because the soft wire nuts sometimes never completely tighten on the wires. Wire nuts have an insulation rating of 600 & 1000 VRMS depending on the application.

Last edited:
If you read the container the wirenuts are contained in, you will find a list of wire combinations the connector is approved for. And it specifically states
"DO NOT TWIST WIRES BEFORE INSTALLING CONNECTOR".
I agree, tape is the sign of a true amateur.
Just follow the instructions on the container.

Taping is not an amateur thing. Many pros will tape to completely seal the connection from air. It eliminates oxidation, and ensures the connection remains optimal for years to come.
Not taping might be the true sign of an amateur.

Why do we need to call one an amateur if we use one method vs another? I suppose it makes me an amateur either way you look at it. I tape wire nuts when it's on a piece of moving or vibrating equipment, no tape on stationary joints. It's not required to tape a nut, but it's a nice piece of insurance that only costs a few pennies and a moment of your time.

I think maybe the insinuation was that an amateur might use tape only, after twisting the wires together. If so, I would tend to agree that if someone used that method, they were uneducated in electrical work and therefore an amateur. But, we shouldn't be name calling in an insulting manner in any case.

I always pretwist with a set of lineman pliers. Way I was taught in tech school and they way I have done it since. Never had a problem and never failed an inspection due to it.

Ideal changed their instructions 20 years ago to now say that 'Pre-twisting is unnecessary' versus not recommended or not allowed. I havent seen a box or bag of Ideal wirenuts in years that says anything else.

I always recommend pretwisting. It is a lot easier than trying to use the wirenut to do it...because either way the wires are getting twisted. Easier on my thumb and fingers to use the linemans.

Also, they taught us in school never to solder line voltage terminations. They taught us that solder had too much resistance versus a properly twisted pair of copper wires and wirenut. Dont know if that is true or not, but it is what they taught us.

As for 3 10AWG wires, I always use large blue wirenut from Ideal. Handles them perfectly...can also handle a few #6's instead. I always keep a few in my bag.

Back