Best way to cut a circle from sheet?

Yes, i use a larger clamp piece too. As close as possible to the diameter to be cut.

I stick the sheet metal to my faceplate with double sided tape then cut the disc with a sharp lathe tool

Thank you for your suggestions. I didn't realize there would be so many answers!

I ended up milling around the edge on the rotary table (mounted from the back in a chuck on the table). Then I cleaned up the edge and put in a 45 degree camber on the lathe.

I used an endmill to put on the design (the initials V.C.), painted, then sanded the surface. I filled the 3 indentations on the back with magnets, so this is a fridge magnet that can hold 10 pounds.

vc.jpg

It depends on the thickness of the sheet and can it have a center hole. I’ve put center holes in flat sheet and stop signed the OD and turned it round off of an arbor. I actually used this method to do a steel plate to mount to a backplate to make an drive dog plate a while back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on the thickness of the sheet and can it have a center hole. I’ve put center holes in flat sheet and stop signed the OD and turned it round off of an arbor. I actually used this method to do a steel plate to mount to a backplate to make an drive dog plate a while back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check the date on the thread.....
Dont think the op is still stuck on this project although I could be wrong!

Back