Best Way to Mill an Angle?

I need to mill a 7º and 11º angle on the base of a round stand-off. While I could tilt the head of my mill, I'd rather not have to re-tram. What are other ways to hold a round piece in a vise at an angle for milling?

This is what I have:

IMG_1733[1].JPG

This is what I need:
Luggage rack standoffs.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately I don't have a collet block, but mebbe I can make something. After noodling on it, I'm thinking of taking two pieces of aluminum, clamp them face-to-face with tape or paper between them, bore a hole normal to the top, rotate the aluminum to the correct angle, and mill the top so it will sit flat in the vise when it holds the standoffs.

I do have an indexing head, so maybe just make something to clamp the standoffs and bolt to the indexing head would be easier?

Thoughts?

I just picked up a nice little Palmgren angle vice that would be perfect for that. Another way would be to clamp a small machinists vice in your milling vice on an angle.

After noodling on it, I'm thinking of taking two pieces of aluminum, clamp them face-to-face with tape or paper between them, bore a hole normal to the top, rotate the aluminum to the correct angle, and mill the top so it will sit flat in the vise when it holds the standoffs.

This will work, or you can cut a V like mmcldl said and use that. I like a small vise bolted to a tilting angle table so that whatever I put in the vise is held solidly and square to the vise.

Check out the sine vise I made from a normal bench vice, it's in the POTD thread. You just elevate one end by the right height to give the angle you want. It's about perfect for this problem.

Back