Bevel gear repair/replacement

Cooped_Up

Registered
Registered
I have a set of bevel gears out of my milling machine, K&T 2CH horizontal, they are for the rapid traverse power feed. I am missing a total of 4 teeth, 2 on each gear. I looked into buying a used set and what I came up with would cost at least twice what I paid for the mill. Ideally I would repair these but I'm not 100% sure what method to use. I considered making a new set but I don't have my shaper anymore so it would make some of the parts much more involved. Tig weld or brazing is my first option what do you guys think I should do in this case.

Attachments

• 20221203_054527.jpg
    20221203_054527.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221203_054549.jpg
    20221203_054549.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20221203_050945.jpg
    20221203_050945.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221201_173947.jpg
    20221201_173947.jpg
    610.1 KB · Views: 23
I would braze up the missing teeth and recut the them. As slow as they move you might be able to recut them by hand close enough with careful work. If they aren't recut perfectly the brass is soft enough to take it with out making a mess of the other gear. What do you have to loose ?

Last edited:
You may be able to fine loose gears and make something.

Possibly see if same size as some drive axle.

Tooth count does not matter as you get a pair and make new bushings to support them.

Or Boston gear.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I have a set of bevel gears out of my milling machine, K&T 2CH horizontal, they are for the rapid traverse power feed. I am missing a total of 4 teeth, 2 on each gear. I looked into buying a used set and what I came up with would cost at least twice what I paid for the mill. Ideally I would repair these but I'm not 100% sure what method to use. I considered making a new set but I don't have my shaper anymore so it would make some of the parts much more involved. Tig weld or brazing is my first option what do you guys think I should do in this case.
I have in the past done a repair on gears like this. Weld/Braze up the teeth, re-cut them using the matching gear as a pattern, use a file to fit. It dosnt have to be perfect. Make a single tooth fly cutter and go for it. Remember you can do it over (I've done it several times to the same gear tooth).

I would graze up the missing teeth and recut the them. As slow as they move you might be able to recut them by hand close enough with careful work. If they aren't recut perfectly the brass is soft enough to take it with out making a mess of the other gear. What do you have to loose ?
That sounds like a good enough solution. I don't have much to lose so I'll give it a shot

I have in the past done a repair on gears like this. Weld/Braze up the teeth, re-cut them using the matching gear as a pattern, use a file to fit. It dosnt have to be perfect. Make a single tooth fly cutter and go for it. Remember you can do it over (I've done it several times to the same gear tooth).
only issue is I would need to use a shaper to machine recut these as the gear doesnt have the clearance for a milling cutter. A file would have to do

My guess is that the gear is bronze. I am also +1 on the braze build up, then file-to-form technique.

My guess is that the gear is bronze. I am also +1 on the braze build up, then file-to-form technique.
the picture may be deceiving, it is harder steel. it was covered in a layer of amber grease. I will braze and file this once I get a hold of the brazing rod. I also have quite a few more gears that need repair unfortunately

Back