• PHISHING SCAM attempt TARGETING HOBBY-MACHINIST members. It has been brought to our attention that a pop-up survey is soliciting userfeedback from H-M members. In exchange for survey information, the user is given an opportunity to win a prize if they pay for shipping charges. This is NOT a Hobby Machinist program, survey or contest. DO NOT click through the links. Close your browser immediately and restart your computer. Clear cookies, cache and log back into Hobby Machinist. Again, this is NOT a Hobby Machinist contest or survey - IT IS a PHISHING SCAM attempt to get your credit card information.To close this notification, click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.

Bi-Directional Adjustable Nema34 Motor Mount


Robert LaLonde

Forum Guest
Register Today
This is a bi-directionally adjustable Nema34 motor mount. I used a fixed sleeve to position it to line up the lead screw and the shaft then tightened all the bolts In the adjustment slots. Then take the motor off, swap to the flexible motor coupler, and slap the motor back on.

I've done fixed bearings on the outboard end of lead screws the same way.

On the KMB1 I found two things when I tore into the Y axis. The end of the lead screw shaft was bent. The Y-Axis servo motor was offset belt drive so the bent shaft really reeked havoc with tuning and adjusting the servo drive on that motor. On top of that the brush holders in the motor were falling out. I would guess that made the motor fairly weak. Not seeing an easy fix and knowing its hard to find that exact motor at a reasonable price I decided to give direct drive with a closed loop (encoder to drive) stepper a try. I already had the stepper and stepper controller.

I did two things to improve the end of the lead screw. I bent it back to the best of my ability. Mounted it in soft jaws in my four jaw chuck, cut off the end since it no longer needed the extra length, and turned the area behind that down to the right size for the coupler. Even if its still not perfect, being direct drive with a helical coupler will be a lot less strain on the motor than having a timing pulley either going over tight or sloppy loose for part of every rotation.

The motor mount is three pieces, but if I had a piece 1.5x4 inch bar I could have made it as just two pieces. It was designed and cut using CamBam.

Soft Jaws.jpg

Adjustable Motor Mounts.jpg
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock