Biax Scraper, Happy, Happy, Happy

toolman_ar

Active User
Registered
I purchased several items from a retired machine tool scraper hand. One of the items was a blue Biax.

While testing the tool, with the seller, the power cord was bad and smoked the extension cord.

I replaced the power cord, plugged it in and it ran great!

Several years ago I attended one of Richard Kings classes. When we got to the stage of using power scrapers. I plugged it in and started scraping. About an hour in Boom! Zap! Poof! Large flame came out the side and a 20 amp circuit breaker popped. Everyone in the class had the same look on their face... : (

That was November 2014.

Today I finally decide it is time to look into what went wrong. Popped open the side panel, where the power cord goes in the rear of the tool.

There was an extra screw inside the case! The extra screw is burnt and black. No ones fault but mine. There are two screws that hold the power wire in place. When I installed the new cable. I lost a screw. Well... I found the screw. The burnt extra screw...

After looking at the brushes, still in good shape. I figure I have nothing to loose. Plug it in, dawn safety glasses, hit the switch.

Runs like a top!! Happy, happy, happy!!!

toolman_ar

Last edited:
nice save! :grin:
i have been lucky enough to be able to save a couple old units myself, it's a great feeling to make something work, that previously did not.
i hope you have lots of fun putting it back to use!
all the best
mike:)

I have been hand scraping an indicator base. And quickly buzzed over the top of it last night.

My blue 2243 is old and too thick. I ordered new Yellow and Blue 1.5 oz bottles yesterday. Once they come in I will post my results.

If I did not have yard work detail, this morning, I would be scaraping on something...

toolman_ar

Did you get the optional tool pouch with your Biax?

BTW- Nice unit you have there.

When I attended Richard's class a couple years back, he pulled out the bottle of Windex, I had to chuckle a bit. Reminds me of the movie "My big fat Greek Wedding" (I think that's the name of it) the old man carrying around the bottle of Windex, the cure all for everything!
BTW- I haven't tried it yet to thin down the Candole dye. Yellow and blue are my favorite to use too. Sure wish I kept the jar of red lead I had back home.

Back