Biax scraper

Cooped_Up

Registered
Registered
So I have quite a few things I would like to scrape. Now first of all I know I should really take a class and learn but they are out of my metaphorical budget. However I was thinking about buying some biax scrapers and to pay them off I was thinking why not rent them out for week or month long periods. Now the reason I'm making this post is kinda a feeler to see what the hive mind thinks about my idea. If you think it's not a great idea then I'll think of something else.

It would be best if you could find someone to help you learn how to scrape. Trying to learn it yourself usually leads to misunderstood techniques and bad habits. Been there, done that. Attending a Richard King class will present to you the proper ways of scraping, and you will be with others all learning together, which helps with getting the understanding of scraping right. I would not recommend buying a Biax or other power scraper until you first learn the basics using a hand scraper. Learning to scrape is not instant satisfaction by buying the "best" tools, it is understanding what you are doing to the work as you proceed, and progressing in a way that gives provable good results, proved by using the correct techniques for vetting your work. The biggest needed skill is patience and being inquisitive about doing it right. Warning, there is lots of poor information out there on learning scraping, and it is difficult for a newbie to know the differences. With assistance, and working as a group, the skills become more understandable and help you to reach the "AHAH! moments...

I just bought a used Biax power scraper but I also just had Richard King come to my shop and teach a class earlier this year...... Bob is right about scraping..... If you are interested get a hand scraper and a carbide lapping machine like a glendo or make one..... Practice on garbage before you ruin your machines forever..... This really isn't something you can just jump into and get to work..... There is a proper technique to it and Richard King likes to make chicken noises at you when you do it wrong..... lol

Buy Richard King's DVD on eBay.... He makes us watch it at the class..... This is the next best thing to attending his class....

Last edited:
A Biax scraper bought new is a big investment; renting it out to folks that you do not know is not without risk; if it comes back busted, what then? I would not rent out mine, it would be foolish to do so. We are talking an investment of well over $2,000, new price.

I wasn't intending on buying one new, I was looking into buying a lot of three. I'll get a hand scraper to learn and go route b which is building a variable stroke recip saw and weighting it down. I have camel back straight edges that I would like to scrape in Soni figured thoes would make good practice

I have camel back straight edges that I would like to scrape in Soni figured thoes would make good practice

Practice on Garbage Dont mess up a nice tool before you know what you are doing.... Richard King made us scrap a piece of cast iron bar stock for 2 and a half days before he let us touch a project or a Power scraper....

Last edited:
Practice on Garbage Dont mess up a nice tool before you know what you are doing.... Richard King made us scrap a piece of cast iron bar stock for 2 and a half days before he let us touch a project or a Power scraper....
Fair enough, I didn't spend much for them but I guess I still should treat them as much as they sell for

Back