Biax scraper

Fair enough, I didn't spend much for them but I guess I still should treat them as much as they sell for

You can Private Message Richard King here on the Forum to ask him about buying a Biax hand scraper and blades..... I used the Sandvik, the Anderson and the Biax hand scrapers during the class and the Biax Hand scraper is way better.....

Edit:
Plus the Biax hand scraper takes the same blades as the Biax power scraper so if you finally want to invest in one you will already have the right blades....

Last edited:
I wasn't intending on buying one new, I was looking into buying a lot of three. I'll get a hand scraper to learn and go route b which is building a variable stroke recip saw and weighting it down. I have camel back straight edges that I would like to scrape in Soni figured thoes would make good practice
Get some practice with using borrowed Biax scrapers AFTER learning how to scrape properly using a hand scraper. Learn what Biax scrapers are like when they are like new, well used, and clapped out before even thinking about buying one. Wait for a good deal to come along. It happens. Sometimes sellers have no idea what they are selling...

Get some practice with using borrowed Biax scrapers AFTER learning how to scrape properly using a hand scraper. Learn what Biax scrapers are like when they are like new, well used, and clapped out before even thinking about buying one. Wait for a good deal to come along. It happens. Sometimes sellers have no idea what they are selling...
I grabbed some carbide inserts from work today. You think these would work for making into scraper blades?

Attachments

• IMG_20200807_151114.jpg
    IMG_20200807_151114.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 15
I grabbed some carbide inserts from work today. You think these would work for making into scraper blades?
Sigh. You can try anything you want, and you may eventually come up with something useful. My advice still is to start with the tried and true, learn the proper process and techniques from people who have lots of experience and are good teachers, practice until you can do decent journeyman work, and only then start experimenting...

If you have never seen these in action, here is a great video from Adam (Abom79). It is a two part series and where they are doing a shaper ram's ways. You can see the blades that these use, how they are used and get a good idea of how long this operation takes, along with the tooling to see what needs to be scraped.

Scraping Cincinnati Shaper Ram Ways

The problem with learning scraping is it's a technique based skill, like welding. Can you learn it by watching some videos and practice? Probably, but having someone who knows what they are doing looking over your shoulder and correcting you in real time might be more cost effective considering the time and money needed to figure it out yourself. And I will warn you, scraping is not a cheap bit of the hobby to get into (as if any of this hobby is). You can build a hand scraper yourself and get a low cost surface plate. Beyond that, expect to pay $10 or more per inch for straight edges that you will probably have to scrape in yourself. I haven't priced Biax scrapers lately, but I paid $600 (used) for mine about 10 years ago, and it was a good deal for what I got. New blades for the Biax run about $100 each. It's like any other aspect of this hobby, the further into it you go, the more stuff you will need to either buy or fabricate. I took Richards class, and it was quite informative. I recommend that being the first thing you spend money on if you want to get into scraping. You can also determine whether you really want to do it or not before sinking money into all the accesories I described above (although I recomend a surface plate even if you don't want to scrape).

Thanks everyone. Many of my students have purchased the old blue scrapers on Ebay and had Ed Dyjak repair them. Ed a friend of mine told me he has run out of parts so he's not sure he can anymore, You can try. He is in Milford MI. He and I are DAPRA / BIAX reps'and sell new ones. I used to rent my power scrapers, but I had the renter pay me a deposit of 2000.00. and rented them for $500.00 a week. I never felt good doing that. Sort of reminds me of something an electronics guy said to me when I wanted to rent an oscilloscope from him. He said " renting you it would be like renting out my wife, she would come back in OK shape, but I would never feel good about it"...lol eeler and Bob K belong to a club of hobby guys out in CA and I think they share rebuilding tools. Maybe you can start a club out there in NY or join the CA club....Long distance.... lol

Back