Big muttha! Rotary table

Aluminum is a partial solution...You'll have to flip the table over and lightly radius every edge. The casting will dig into aluminum. On my mill, using crane arrangement described.
At work, I use a 'skid', two lengths of W1 drill rod epoxied to an aluminum plate. Being longer than diameter of table, they work like skis and only burnish the base. It sits on a lift table that I jack barely lower than mill table, after the leading edge is 'aboard' the table.
Can you post a photo?

Can you post a photo?
Uhhh...sort of. It's always under their rotab! Just aluminum plate 14 x 14'ish with rods JB Welded to it. Ends are rounded off spherically on belt sander, filed on a lathe would serve same purpose. Originally I used oak strips and wood screws, but they'll stain iron, and petroleum oils rot wood.

Uhhh...sort of. It's always under their rotab! Just aluminum plate 14 x 14'ish with rods JB Welded to it. Ends are rounded off spherically on belt sander, filed on a lathe would serve same purpose. Originally I used oak strips and wood screws, but they'll stain iron, and petroleum oils rot wood.
Got it!

When I was younger, I just lifted mine off. If I tried that now, I would end up in a wheel chair with a double hernia.

I slide a piece of plywood under the RT. My RT overhangs the table slightly at the front and back which allows me to lift the RT enough to start the plywood. When I have the plywood under about a quarter of the RT, I can tilt it onto the plywood and slide it.

When I was younger, I just lifted mine off. If I tried that now, I would end up in a wheel chair with a double hernia.

I slide a piece of plywood under the RT. My RT overhangs the table slightly at the front and back which allows me to lift the RT enough to start the plywood. When I have the plywood under about a quarter of the RT, I can tilt it onto the plywood and slide it.
I understand how you get it on the plywood but I don’t understand what you do with it afterwards.....sometimes I can be a bit thick in the head....

I understand how you get it on the plywood but I don’t understand what you do with it afterwards.....sometimes I can be a bit thick in the head....

Have a cart nearby to transfer the RT to. It would help to cut handholds in the plywood or a couple of heavy door pulls could be used. A cart that was the same height as the mill table. Hence, the lift table. In your case, you can lower your table to the same height. Then just slide the plywood with RT from the table to the cart.

Have a cart nearby to transfer the RT to. It would help to cut handholds in the plywood or a couple of heavy door pulls could be used. A cart that was the same height as the mill table. Hence, the lift table. In your case, you can lower your table to the same height. Then just slide the plywood with RT from the table to the cart.
Got it!

Back