BIG NUT LOOSE ON TOP OF SPINDLE

epanzella

Active User
Registered
I got my new mill/drill from HF and the big nut on top of the spindle was loose. I tightened it gently but is there a torque value for it? Does it preload the spindle bearings or just hold on the pulley? The mill is the round column. I think the P# is 33686

There are generally two nuts; one to preload the bearings and the second functions as a lock nut. Take a look at the parts diagram to see if there is a third nut or if the second nut functions both as a lock nut and to fix the pulley. In either case though, torque should be non critical. You want it tight enough so the preload nut doesn't move.

Not sure which nut you're talking about. There is a large nut on top of the pulley; this holds the pulley on to the drive sleeve and just needs to be snug. If you have dropped the quill out of the mill and are referring to the two castellated nuts that overlie the tip spindle bearing then the lower nut preloads that bearing and the one on top of that is a jam nut to prevent the preload nut from loosening. There is a tabbed washer below the preload nut to also lock it in place.

From the parts diagram for the 33686 mill, it looks like the two part 14's are the two nuts which set the preload. P/N 2 should be a non-critical. Personally, I would tighten it more than snug so vibration doesn't cause it to loosen again.

I checked it. It's the top nut and it has a bevel on the bottom with a matching bevel on the top of the pulley. There's only one nut I can see without removing the pulley. It's the pulley nut. Thanks all for the help.

Back