Biggest-Ass Bearing?

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well - it might not be. There are some pretty huge bearings in rail tunnel excavators, but it might be one of the biggest full precision bearings ever made. It is one of a set of 4 used in the gimbal mounted in the middle of the "mining exploration" ship used to recover the Soviet submarine K-129, around 1974.

Big-Bearing1a.png

Ver cool!!!
I watched a YouTube video on large tapered roller bearings about a year ago.
The bearing was approximately 10 to 12 feet in diameter. They had a shipping cradle that tipped the bearing 45* for transport on a trailer.
I’ll see if I can find a link when I get home.

I look at that and get lost in wondering how much force it is meant to withstand, what RPMs, how many HP are lost in spinning it unloaded, how much it weighs, etc.
The design forces
Radial Load 4500 Tons
Axial Load 1000 Tons
Bearing Weight 15.5 Tons
Size approximately 2m high
Supplied by FAG Bearing USA

Ver cool!!!
I watched a YouTube video on large tapered roller bearings about a year ago.
The bearing was approximately 10 to 12 feet in diameter. They had a shipping cradle that tipped the bearing 45* for transport on a trailer.
I’ll see if I can find a link when I get home.
The gimball was to allow the ship to rock about while attached to the lifting gear going down 15,000ft. The original documentary explaining how that gimbal worked in the middle of the ship is --> here LINK

Big Bearing2a.png

Something like that I’d imagine it’s for water turbines for a dam or so. It looks like theirs two layers of rollers.

Right o_O
Yes - look through the middle of the bearing, and you can see the inner race in the background.
Or - this is it!
[EDIT: Is that while being ground? There is coolant being sprayed. ]

Big Bearing3.png

Last edited:
Back