Biggest-Ass Bearing?

I was intrigued by the quench. That much heat, in a thing that big, would cook up even quite a big volume. Maybe they have a circulation pump to move the heat out to a radiator. As the bearing is lifted out, there is steam to be seen rising off, implying water. But I guess it can't be. I would have expected some furious boiling, but that did not seem to happen.

Easy to tell that I don't have much experience of quenching hot stuff - not more than one appreciates from occasionally seeing an episode of "Forged in Fire". This is something I hope to change in the future, although it likely won't involve swords nor knife blades.

It is impressive, but it looks like a ring gear to me.
It’s a slewing ring bearing. They come in a variety of configurations, mounting flanges, gear teeth cut into the inner or outer ring, through holes for mounting, all depends on how they will be used. These are used a lot of applications, but construction and mining equipment are probably the biggest use cases.

The first few pages of this document show some of the catalog size configurations. https://www.schaeffler.com/remoteme...ler_2/catalogue_1/downloads_6/404_de_en_1.pdf

It sad to hear that the “mining operation” did go to plan.
I thought that they were able to recover a portion of the sub, but no more as it broke up as they were raising it from the sea bed. I vaguely recollect that they used flotation balloons alongside the hull.

I thought that they were able to recover a portion of the sub, but no more as it broke up as they were raising it from the sea bed. I vaguely recollect that they used flotation balloons alongside the hull.
Yep, when they lifted K129, the glomar Explorer's lifting mechanism had a failure and they lost 2/3 rd's of the sub. They pretty much only got hte bow section, but even that was an intelligence goldmine, including two nuclear tipped torpedoes....

i Used to commute across the Benicia bridge in late 80s & early 90s & would see the Glomar Explorer moored all by itself in the Navy mothball fleet.
If you can find the documentary Project Azorian on the raising of the K-129, watch it, guaranteed to keep your interest.
The Big Ass bearings iis just the tip of the ice-berg in this amazingly true endeavor, & an incredible adventure story.

Something like that I’d imagine it’s for water turbines for a dam or so. It looks like theirs two layers of rollers.

Right o_O
Those have Kingsbury bearings generally. They last a lot longer in that sort of application.

Back