Bijur L5P pump parts

mikemm

Registered
Registered
Hi all, don't know if this is correct area for this but I'm having a hard time locating a replacement spring for the pump body. I disassembled my pump and found the spring broken in 2 pieces. any ideas?

Thanks.

I did a quick search for Bijur parts and Motion Industries is listed as a distributor. There's a store in Concord if that helps.

phone ahead, Motion Industries doesn't always carry the complete line of products from a company, or may impose a quantity restriction (for example, I wanted a specific type of grease nipple, they carried it, but I couldn't just order 2, I had to order at least 25 (and they were about $2/each)... It turned out to be cheaper and better to just buy new u-joints.

You can also contact Bijur directly. Here is there contact page. On a historical note, the first Bijur pumps were designed for and installed on Packard motor cars.

I checked bijur website for replacement parts and they dont have springs listed. just fittings, gaskets resivoirs and the like. same with H&W machine and icai-online. Bijur site recommends sending in pump to them for all internal isssues. I'll give motoin a call today but im sure thats a dead end. Thought someone may have a secret source.

As chips&more stated, making one is my best option. Easy enough to measure OAL, diameter, wire gauge and pitch. I would like to know the compression force in lbs/in so I get the correct pressure without having to lean to hard on lever, or wait forever for plunger to travel its stroke.

I'm not sure that any spring you make will be much different in pressure if you use the same dimensions.

I have a Bijur pump on a 1997 Bridgeport mill. The type with the spring loaded T handle that you pull up. I accidentally lost the reservoir cap a couple of years ago, possibly vacuumed up. Called Bijur directly. They only sold these in boxes of multiples, probably to distributors. Lady was very nice and shipped me one for free. Might be worth a call.

Here's where I'm up to. The spring is 3 " long with an OD of 0.56" and a wire size of .072. I can only find Dia of .5 or .6 in various compression strengths. I'm choosing to go with .5 od as the .6 has the potential to rub up against the piston bore (.75") when deflected under compression as the piston rod may not engage the inner diameter of the spring keeping it away from the bore. This would score the bore and is obviously bad.
Now how I am choosing the compression strength. When assembled and at rest, the spring is compressed 1 inch. Engaging the plunger stroke compresses it an additional .8 inches for a total compression of 1.8 in. Bijur specs the pump max pressure at 5 Bar or 72 PSI. So calculating the surface area of the piston to .44 sq in I would need a force of 32 lbs at max compression of 1.8 inches to achieve 5 Bar. this gives me a spring force of 17.7 lbs / in.

Anybody see anything wrong with my logic?

Back