Bill M's Pm1340gt Setup

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well, I thought I'd go ahead and start a setup thread with a few pics for those of you who like 'em. :)

This is the 3-phase motor and it's bruised fan cover. Can't tell if the fan itself or the motor is damaged. Will tear into it tomorrow to see how bad it is.

IMG_0541.jpg

Here's a shot with the top off the crate. Lathe was undamaged thankfully.

IMG_0542.jpg

A frontal shot with the sides of the crate removed. Assembled stand in the background.

IMG_0544.jpg

Here she is on her stand. After wrestling with El Hefe this was almost a non-event. I used a long 10000lb. rated strap and started at the hoist's hook, then down through the bed hole closest to the headstock, then down and around the base/foot under the headstock (taking care to stay away from anything bendable/breakable) then back up through the same hole in the bed, up through the hoist hook then down to the bed hole closest to the apron/saddle, then back to the hook. used one small strap around the tool post just to keep her level (very little effort/load on this strap) and lifted her up. Pretty simple actually. Sorry, I should have taken a pic when she was rigged but I forgot.

IMG_0545.jpg

And here she is sitting pretty and ready to get cleaned. Man they really slathered this goop on here. I'll be all weekend just getting this stuff out of every nook and cranny.

IMG_0546.jpg

All for now. I'm going to go have a snort of scotch now to celebrate. :D

She looks real nice Bill congrats. I like those leveling pads does it feel stable or tippy? What is that big square thing on the left side of the on/off shaft up against the head stock? Also why isn't there a 671 blower sticking out the hood of that Camaro? And damn that motor took a hit freaking trucking companies:cussing:

Looks good Bill ! At least your ways were not dinged up. Just want to know if they give you a spec sheet with all the actual readings of what's allowed from the factory and how your own lathe checks out like grizzly does. Actually my grizzly is still in the crate with the lid off . You veteran guys on here post pics so quick . Is that camaro a 2 SS in the back. I have a black 2 SS 6spd with ground effects a real fun car . Keep up the great progress with lots a photos !!

Looks great Bill... you are farther along than I am.
Your cabinets came painted blue... mine is dark grey.
Sorry your motor is dinged up... hope the fan is not. If so... maybe you can get the parts from the existing 1PH motor.
And yeah... they use a freakin' amount of cosmoline on the lathe... probably good, as a ride across the ocean could leave rust spots.

My stand is mostly done, hope to get the lathe on the stand this weekend.

She looks real nice Bill congrats. I like those leveling pads does it feel stable or tippy? What is that big square thing on the left side of the on/off shaft up against the head stock? Also why isn't there a 671 blower sticking out the hood of that Camaro? And damn that motor took a hit freaking trucking companies:cussing:

I really do like these TE-CO leveling pads. I think it was Mike who told me about these. And the lathe feels very stable, but not sure it's because of the 3.5" feet. Could be. The Big Square Thing is likely the fwd/off/rev switch. Will know more when I start taking the stock wiring apart. LOL...not all blowers stick out of the hood. ;) And yea the motor took a pretty good hit but it wasn't all the trucking company's fault as the box was left separate with no hold-down strap or anything.

Looks good Bill ! At least your ways were not dinged up. Just want to know if they give you a spec sheet with all the actual readings of what's allowed from the factory and how your own lathe checks out like grizzly does. Actually my grizzly is still in the crate with the lid off . You veteran guys on here post pics so quick . Is that camaro a 2 SS in the back. I have a black 2 SS 6spd with ground effects a real fun car . Keep up the great progress with lots a photos !!

The spec sheets are part of the user manual, in the back. I haven't started checking specs yet, as I need to get her cleaned up, the motor (hopefully) installed, install the DRO and start looking at the electrics and what I have to do there. I won't even bother to level it until I get it to it's final resting spot. The Camaro is a 2011 2SS/RS with some minor mods. :)

Looks great Bill... you are farther along than I am.
Your cabinets came painted blue... mine is dark grey.
Sorry your motor is dinged up... hope the fan is not. If so... maybe you can get the parts from the existing 1PH motor.
And yeah... they use a freakin' amount of cosmoline on the lathe... probably good, as a ride across the ocean could leave rust spots.

My stand is mostly done, hope to get the lathe on the stand this weekend.

No, the stand is grey. It's just the lighting I guess (is the dress blue or gold? LOL...)

No, the stand is grey. It's just the lighting I guess (is the dress blue or gold? LOL...)

THX Bill... After posting... thought about camera and lighting.

I think that little box on the lower rod to the carriage, at the bottom right of the headstock, is where the 'forward/off/reverse' switch is... I noticed on mine there is a wire going to the box and back to the elec pane.

Congrats, Bill!
Just think of all that cosmoline crap as...."it has a purpose...,it has a purpose...it has a purpose..., and you'll be fine...hehheh :)

John

Bill it's great to see you finally got your lathe. Sorry to hear about the shipping damage on the motor. Where exactly was it in the packaging? It looks likes Matt is going to have to spring for a metal banding machine to old things down in the future. He will make this right I'm sure.

Joe

Back