Bill M's Pm1340gt Setup

Thanks Mark! Will check this tonight. After more tweaking my belt is now approximately 28" or so. Works great.

Mark was right! But for me it was the top screw instead of the bottom one. Regardless, once I properly adjusted those two screws and squirted a bit more oil in there the threading lever is now smoooooth... :)

FYI for anyone getting their 1340GTs soon and have trouble with the threading engagement lever.

So I heard from Matt at PM: He was a bit shocked that the motor took that kind of hit. He then said he'd help with any parts I need (in the original mail I told him I was going to try to salvage it), but then said that because that looks pretty bad he should just send me a new motor. Just like that. :)

So right after that I get a invoice marked 'Paid' for a new 3 phase motor. He said that he just received the next shipment of lathes and it make take him a bit to find it but he will send it out ASAP. How's that for customer service? :aok:

Last edited:
So I heard from Matt at PM: He was a bit shocked that the motor took that kind of hit. He then said he'd help with any parts I need (in the original mail I told him I was going to try to salvage it), but then said that because that looks pretty bad he should just send me a new motor. Just like that. :)

So right after that I get a invoice marked 'Paid' for a new 3hp motor. He said that he just received the next shipment of lathes and it make take him a bit to find it but he will send it out ASAP. How's that for customer service? :aok:

... and that is why I like doing business with real people not huge corporations! Matt just FedExed a replacement part to me because it slipped his mind and I waited a couple weeks. I was in no hurry but appreciated the effort.

So right after that I get a invoice marked 'Paid' for a new 3 phase motor. He said that he just received the next shipment of lathes and it make take him a bit to find it but he will send it out ASAP. How's that for customer service? :aok:
Yup, that's why I am loyal to Matt. The motor on mill died one day. I called him & he offered to send me a new motor without hesitation. Turns out it just blew a cap so I didn't need it.

I always say that Matt hooks me up. It's much more than thatt though. He's given me great discounts, free replacement parts (even when I broke something), & has even gave me free accessories when I called to simply purchase them. Some of which being high dollar items leaving me in shock (I'm still in shock & grateful), not even a charge for shipping. I probably should not mention publicly what those items were though, I'd be very jealous too.

My personal experience is not what I call excellent customer service, it's much more than that. Just the fact he remembers who I am when I call without having to give him my last name or address is awesome by itself, & it's not like I talk to him on a regular basis. Don't need no sticking coupon code with Matt, even if he did offer them I wouldn't care to even mention one. That's why I will always purchase my machines from him as first priority.

Bill, Sounds like Matt is taking care of you... which is the reason I prefer to buy a PM machine to others... even if I could save,say, $50 or $100... The customer service goes a L O N G way!

The Y sensor (?... on the carriage) on the DRO for my 1340GT does not work... need to send Matt an Email and ask him how he wants to handle it.

Love your avatar Mark. I have one very similarly marked. :)

Not a great deal accomplished today. I hoisted the three phase motor up on the bench and removed the fan cover. There is a cheesy plastic fan in there that I doubt any impact would hurt, and there is no visible damage to the motor case anywhere. The motor shaft turns freely. So I think all I need to do is scavenge the fan cover from the single phase and swap the motor spec stickers.

I removed the gear cover from the left side of the lathe and cleaned the gears and started checking the drive belt this thing came with. When I was first attempting to turn the chuck it was really weird in that you could move the chuck a bit, release it, and it would promptly back up. Turning it more and I noticed definite 'humps' or areas that required additional force on the chuck to get it to turn. I loosened the tension bolt and tried to pivot the motor up so I could get the belt off and promptly ran into what appears to be one of the headstock adjustment screws. What's up with that? So I couldn't seem to get the belt off and in 'one of my moments' I pulled out the Cold Steel folder and solved the problem permanently. Didn't want that belt anyway after hearing the stories here. So I pulled out some linked belt I had in a drawer and make up a new belt that allows the motor to settle down a little further which makes belt changes easier but still allows the cover to be put back on. I don't recall exactly but I think I was in the 26-27" range with the last installed link. Now the chucks spins nicely. :)

I removed the control panel on the front of the lathe to get a better look at this oiling system for the Norton gear box. Wow, is pretty much all I can say. I've already started a background process in the brain housing group to replace that with something that can more accurately and reliably deliver oil to the gears in the gearbox.

Definitely interested in what you come up with Bill... While I suspect the manufacturers idea works... I would like something a bit more substantial (if that is the right word).
Gonna think on this a bit myself.

Hey Bill,
Got to dinkin' around with the threading lever & after oiling the crap out of it with no results, I pulled the threading dial for a better look. Found 3 hex screws behind there that appear to keep tension (too much in my case) on the half nuts. The larger one was kinda loose already, & when I tightened it the lever really got stiff. The top one didn't seem to do anything one way or another, but the bottom one, that was the key. Loosened it about 1/4 turn & now the lever moves quite freely. Might want to give it a shot.
By the way, bought a Gates 6926 belt today & it fits perfect. Plenty of slack to swap between pulleys & the cover fits. Yay! Anybody want those 25 & 28 inch belts????? I'll send them to you FREE
Mark

THX Marcus...
Just put one in my cart at Amazon. Probably process the order Friday evening, need to figure out a bunch of things tomorrow.

Hey John, you mean the long scale? That is Z in lathe parlance. Your crosslide is X. I think. Don't ask...I'm just repeating what I was told. :)

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to tackle the installation of this EL400 2-axis DRO for the lathe. Then the Dorian, then the Pratt. Busy weekend planned.

Back