Billet aluminum bat

I'll have to run that past the batter, looks good though

Form follows function, probably no need for a taper in your application so why bother?

John

BTW, Nice boat :encourage:

If you turn the solid bat, the easiest way (lacking a taper attachment) is to turn it between centers with the tailstock offset to achieve the taper.

Last edited:
Thanks John, it's a chance to practice, see how bad I can mess it up, and then how well I can cover it up :)
I am a little apprehensive about messing with the tail stock, I'm not sure how far out I can go with the piece in the jaws.

Thanks John, it's a chance to practice, see how bad I can mess it up, and then how well I can cover it up :)
I am a little apprehensive about messing with the tail stock, I'm not sure how far out I can go with the piece in the jaws.

That's why I wrote "turn it between centers". It's not recommended to offset the tailstock when holding the workpiece in a conventional chuck.

I wonder if Devcon has something like that too?

I'm loaded up with baseball bats too Mike ! :grin: We used to travel the country way back when my son played on a national team . That's how we ended up with land up near Cooperstown !

I don't think a lot of them are Al in the 22-24" range. LOL
I do have a need for a couple of L hand taps for suspension heim joints.

I have seen long tapers cut by replacing the cross slide hand wheel with a pulley. Some aligned brackets and a taut piano wire with a wrap (or 2) on the pulley will cross feed while traveling. Do a little math to determine the size of the pulley needed to cut the taper, larger dia = less taper. Set the compound to 0° and feed in from there.

Back