[4]

Birthplace Of Speed

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Grumpy Gator

Iron
Former Member
Up front I'll admit I'm a gear head. Anything that goes fast gets my attention .
That being said here is a blast from the past.
Jan 26 1906 in Ormand Beach Florida on the sand. Stanley Steamer Rocket Racer also know as "Flying Teapot" posted a LSR of 127.659 MPH.
th.jpg that record stood for four years.In a try at 200MPH it hit a dip in the sand and wrecked.
A few years later in March of 1929 the "Golden Arrow" set a record of 231.45 MPH {372.46 KM/H}
land speed record.jpg

A long time back I was privileged to work on my friends pit crew as he attempted a LSR on the salt out west. First pass went good on the return the transmission let go at 128 MPH . Luck was on his side as he did not crash and coasted back to the pits.
*********Keep your Knees in the Breeze**********Gator************** cartangrysj1.gif ********

ch2co

Grumpy Old Man
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
My grandpa was a race car driver back in the early years of the last century. Hot foot Harry he was called. One a lot of local races apparently. He drove Aspersions and Overlands and was featured in many of their print ads. I have a telegram he wrote to my grand ma in 1910 congratulating her on the birth of their child. He was all the way up in Cheyenne Wyo. and had just won the 200 miler at the Frontier Park race, and seemed to be boasting of his win maybe a little more than the birth of my mom. He and his son ran an auto repair business in Denver. I've worked on a few pit crews for auto and motorcycle races. The only racing that I've done were bare tire class motorcycle ice racing. Lots and lots
of fun.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Andre

Active User
127 miles an hour doesn't impress me as much as calculating how fast it was going. How did they know, to the thousandth of a mile an hour, in 1906!?

Grumpy Gator

Iron
Former Member
Thanks for the question Andre it made me go back and check my facts.
Check out this link: http://www.firstsuperspeedway.com/sites/default/files/Daytona_Ormond_Beach_Speed_Trials.pdf

It seems they had electric timers and stop watchs. And since they raced on the beach they had to contend with the tide also.
My Dad took me to the beach races in the 50's but I was to young to enjoy them.
I still remember going to the Daytona Speedway in the 60's. The sound of horse power and the smell of burned rubber and exhaust gas still lingers in the back of my mind.
Galileo did the math first
V=d/t Velocity = distance over time.
*******Just Saying**************Gator*********** cartangrysj1.gif *****************

mmprestine

Nice post! Not cars but a good movie I remember, The World's Fastest Indian.

Grumpy Gator

Iron
Former Member
mmprestine I'm still looking for pictures of the motorcycles and electric cars that campaigned in those early speed trials.
In the mean while I found these pictures of beach racing thru the years and some cheese cake too.
beach racing 20's (Small).jpg beach racing 50's (Small).jpg beach racing Opps (Small).jpg beach racing pre 1958 (Small).jpg cheesecake (Small).jpg
******Keep your Knees in the Breeze*********G********** cartangrysj1.gif *******************

FOMOGO

Active User
Great pics. Thanks for posting. Mike

Grumpy Gator

Iron
Former Member
It took some digging but I found a few pictures of bikes racing on the beach circa 1948.
beach racing 1948 (Small).jpg beach racing 1948 2 (Small).jpg
And this one caught my eye not a racer but you got to admit it stands out from the crowd.
motorcycles (Small).jpg
******Still Looking*********************************G****** cartangrysj1.gif **************

Grumpy Gator

Iron
Former Member
I found a few more pictures.The first one is a stock car race on the sand.You can see someone racing a station wagon and further back a convertible.
beach racing 1950's (Small).jpg
Next up some sidecar racing.
sidcar racig 1949 (Small).jpg
I'll add some more later.
******Keep your Knees in the Breeze********G********** cartangrysj1.gif ****************

Scruffy

Active User
Love the old pics
Scruffy

Grumpy Gator

Iron
Former Member
As promised more pictures :
golden arrow 2 (Small).jpg
The Golden Arrow on the sand. Some winners. roll (Small).jpg

And some losers.
And some just plane crazy stuff.
crazy atuff (Small).jpg

A long shot of the course.That big green area on the right is solid houses now. 1955 beach racing (Small).jpg More to come.
****************JADIP************G***************** cartangrysj1.gif ***********************

stuz lsr (Small).jpg

Last edited:

ch2co

Grumpy Old Man
Those are some mighty great images, thanks!

Chuck the grumpy old guy

westsailpat

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Actually G , I'm riding a Speedway bike . on a Speedway track . Flat track was a different thing . In the mid 70s' the bike to ride was a Jawa . My bike was a JAP in a Hagon frame , All Speedway bikes were a 500 cc single . Mine had no trans. and all had no brakes ! Those were some times I was 18 , riding 6 nights a week up and down the California coast . My truck was a 56' Chevy pick up . P.
009_zps65a6a4c4.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Man, does that bring back some memories. I used to race a Bultaco 250.:) Made hot shoes out of old chainsaw bars.

CraigB1960

New Member Liaison
It always amazed me the length some went to for excitement and just plain old fun! It would never be allowed today..due to safety concerns.

I participated as a crew member at the Bub speed trials at the Bonneville Salt Flats a few years past. It led me to really appreciate what some did back at the turn of the 1900's on primitive surfaces and machines, just amazes me.

Thanks for posting the info and photos!

westsailpat

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Hey Craig , ya wanna hear something funny ? OK , back in the early 80s' a fellow machinist and I built a race car to race in the DSR class in the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) club . DSR stood for " D" sports racer , The D men't 1,000cc engine . It was a really cool looking car , it looked like a Can AM car . I was talking to a guy a while back and he told me " you are not allowed to build a car any more for the Sports Racer class . That gave me pause .
Jim , I love Bultacos . I had two of them , a 100 cc and a 125 cc they were Sherpas , I road moto cross .

[6]
[5] [7]