Birthplace Of Speed

As promised more pictures :
golden arrow 2 (Small).jpg
The Golden Arrow on the sand. Some winners.roll (Small).jpg

And some losers.
And some just plane crazy stuff.
crazy atuff (Small).jpg

A long shot of the course.That big green area on the right is solid houses now.1955 beach racing (Small).jpg More to come.
****************JADIP************G***************** cartangrysj1.gif***********************

stuz lsr (Small).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are some mighty great images, thanks!

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Sweet hot shoe flat tracking. Is that a 45?
*G*

Actually G , I'm riding a Speedway bike . on a Speedway track . Flat track was a different thing . In the mid 70s' the bike to ride was a Jawa . My bike was a JAP in a Hagon frame , All Speedway bikes were a 500 cc single . Mine had no trans. and all had no brakes ! Those were some times I was 18 , riding 6 nights a week up and down the California coast . My truck was a 56' Chevy pick up . P.
009_zps65a6a4c4.jpg

009_zps65a6a4c4.jpg

009_zps65a6a4c4.jpg

009_zps65a6a4c4.jpg

009_zps65a6a4c4.jpg

009_zps65a6a4c4.jpg

Last edited:
Man, does that bring back some memories. I used to race a Bultaco 250.:) Made hot shoes out of old chainsaw bars.

It always amazed me the length some went to for excitement and just plain old fun! It would never be allowed today..due to safety concerns.

I participated as a crew member at the Bub speed trials at the Bonneville Salt Flats a few years past. It led me to really appreciate what some did back at the turn of the 1900's on primitive surfaces and machines, just amazes me.

Thanks for posting the info and photos!

Hey Craig , ya wanna hear something funny ? OK , back in the early 80s' a fellow machinist and I built a race car to race in the DSR class in the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) club . DSR stood for " D" sports racer , The D men't 1,000cc engine . It was a really cool looking car , it looked like a Can AM car . I was talking to a guy a while back and he told me " you are not allowed to build a car any more for the Sports Racer class . That gave me pause .
Jim , I love Bultacos . I had two of them , a 100 cc and a 125 cc they were Sherpas , I road moto cross .

Back