Bison 5c collet set tru chuck

woodrowm

Active User
Registered
Good afternoon - Hey I'm in the market to buy a Bison 5c collet set tru chuck and back plate. There are many vendors who sell this item and prices can vary as much as a 100 bucks, so can anyone recommend a good reputable company.

Thanks
Woodrow

I have had good luck with wholesale tools and cdco machinery corp. just a thought

I purchased my 5C Bison Set-Tru from Ajax Industries. Quality Machine Tools also sells them, and I believe the latest ones are sold under the Toolmex "TMX" brand name which a number of other forum member's purchased with their lathes. I would recommend either. I have purchased chucks from a few other online vendors but somewhat disappointed either in their ability to provide information or had problems in the order. The Bison 5C Set-Tru is my 4th 5C chuck. I went through two Chinese direct mounts that had bad QC and runout, a LatheMaster Chinese Set-Tru which was very decent for the price, but I had to do some work on it, and then the Bison which I plan to keep a long time. Considered the Gator equivalent (which is a direct copy of the Bison), but just to many reports of QC issues for the nominal price difference. LatheMaster is no more, there is what appears to be a Set-True sold by Shar's but their web page does not provide enough information (pictures show w and w/o adjustment screws) so I would want to call to verify what they are actually selling and what backplate the sell to be used with it. It has also been out od stock for many months.
http://www.shars.com/products/toolholding-workholding/lathe-chucks/5-5c-collet-chuck

CDCO does not sell Bison chucks, but they do sell a decent set of 5C collets at a very good price. I recommend a 1/64th increment collet set for work holding. Even with a 1/64th set, I sometimes need to use my ER chuck for some weird size materials.

You probably will also want to make a speed handle chuck key, greatly speeds up getting collets in/out of the chuck. Made a few extra Hex Keys for speed handles for others. I machine a hex that fits into the handle and a square key for the chuck pinion, and start with O1 drill rod. A set of 5C collet block holders make the job much easier if you do not have a rotary table.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/speed-handle-chuck-key-for-bison-5c-collet-chuck.44488/

20180113_171128.jpg

Last edited:
Back