BISON 6 jaw set tru backplate question

Swerdk

Registered
Registered
Using PM 1236 lathe with standard D1-4 camlock spindle mount attached to stock Chinese 3 jaw chuck. I want to upgrade to Bison set tru and wanted to know if the D 1-4 camlock ( from old chuck) would fit the new chuck or do I need to get a dedicated backplate specific to Bison chuck. I was hoping to save some $$ since I would not need other chuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have to doubt that, the backplate for a SetTru would have a diameter near the bore for the adjusting setscrews to bear against, something that the present backplate would not have.

image.png

Can you help me understand what the picture is telling me I apologize I’m new to this

It's a cross section of a D1-4 back plate for the Set True chucks. From the TMX website. You can see what John was referring to with the extended neck out front for the adjustment screws to bear against.

Sorry, didn't mean to be cryptic.

-frank

I would contact PM and the manufacturer or distributor of Bison Chucks. Having two lathes one with D-4 the other with a 1-1/2 tpi backing plate on my Bison chuck I think it could be done, but from doing this on a different chuck the machine work must be meticulously done with respect to run out.
I lucked out in that I have a friend with a rotary table on his mill that helped me mount a backing plate on a different chuck.
Hopefully more experienced machinists will respond to your question.

It's a cross section of a D1-4 back plate for the Set True chucks. From the TMX website. You can see what John was referring to with the extended neck out front for the adjustment screws to bear against.

Sorry, didn't mean to be cryptic.

-frank
Yes, a normal chuck (not a SetTru) would not have the projecting neck for the adjusting screws to bear against; bite the bullet and buy the proper backplate.

Ouch- okay I appreciate it. Thank you for the expertise

All set-tru chucks I'm familiar with have a special backing plate. Yea, it's a bit of a bummer having to spend the extra cash. Sorry about that. :)

I have had set-tru chucks on my last previous lathe, as well as my current lathe. I have the requirement of being able to chuck up an existing part with minimal TIR, and my set-tru allows me to do that without having to switch to my four-jaw that I've never used. Yet.

Took a bit to get used to dialing one in, but now it's real quick and easy for me.

Have fun with yours. :encourage:

Back