Bison set tru D 1-4 spindle mounting has to many studs

Swerdk

Registered
Registered
My Chinese chuck back plates have d1-4 adaptor with only 3 studs
2e28069d39fa6838f8cfc40eba019fbe.jpg

I will be buying a Bison 6 jaw 6” set tru chuck but the only adaptor plate that they offer has 6 studs
6b601f60c6ef748e90f670db30f7d981.jpg

Model number for d1-4 adaptor plate is 7-875-064

How do I fit the square into the circle. What am I missing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the source of the illustration? I have a strong hunch that they are simply showing the wrong backing plate. Let me be a little more emphatic: the backing plate shown is simply not a 4 inch type D-1 (to use the strict nomenclature)

David

That’s weird every site I typed the model # in I get the same pic. It’s a conspiracy. So if somehow THAT adaptor plate was mailed to me can I leave out 3 studs and not compromise integrity of it?

Btw thanks for proper nomenclature. Never knew proper way to reference D 1-4

Well I was being a little tedious there. My copy of USA Standard B5.9 (Reaffirmed 1992) "Spindle Noses for Tool Room Lathes, Engine Lathes, Turret Lathes, and Automatic Lathes" gives the correct nomenclature for the cam lock spindle nose as Type D1 preceded by the nominal size, in this case ""4-in. Type D1" We're probably going to be better off using the customary nomenclature, D1-4" that everyone is used to.

David

So if somehow THAT adaptor plate was mailed to me can I leave out 3 studs and not compromise integrity of it? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the D1-4's only have three pins, but I have seen several instances of the larger D1 chucks being used with three of the pins removed.

Ted

A D1-4 has specific dimensions and has 3 pins. You can see a picture and dimensions at the Toolmex site which distributes the Bison chucks. Each D1-X size is unique, so they are not interchangeable by removing pins. Also Gator back plates are pretty much interchangeable with Bison/TMX at about 1/2 the cost if just buying the back plate. I like the Bison/TMX chucks, Ii have ther 8" combo and their set-tru 5C which I use 90% of the time.
https://www.toolmex.com/itemdetail/7-875-064

Back