Bit of a rant today.

So what's a good option for quality/affordable taps? I was about to go buy a set at harbor freight lmao.

I now only buy known good brand, HSS taps. The companies that make good cutting tools tend to make good taps, Morse, Greenfield, etc.. I've also had good luck with YG-1. I really like spiral flute taps lately. They work really well in the mill to power tap.

Sets aren't worth the bother. I just order as needed. And do NOT get them from HF. OMG are they trash. Some tools from there are alright, get you by. Taps are not. They probably work OK to fix damaged threads, but for cutting new threads they are worse than useless. I had two break on their first use. Both were in a nice setup to keep them straight. Got the broken tap out both times, then threw the entire box in the trash without a second thought.

The Ace, or Hansen hss taps that you can find at almost any decent hardware store are good starter tools. Good info in post #12 also. Never, ever get taps from HF, or Northern Tool.

Every time a use a YG-1 tap on small threads (#2-56 through #8-32) I have to check to make sure that it has cut any threads, they cut so easily. I also use their end mills.

Back