Black and Decker #60 Drill Press

Awround

Registered
Registered
I have restored an old Black and Decker #60 Drill Press for a friend. The drill press was purchased by her Grandfather in the early 1950's.

As delivered:

IMG_2149.JPG

All the parts were derusted using electrolytic rust removal and then the castings were cleaned, primed and painted.

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2164.JPG

IMG_2165.JPG

IMG_2166.JPG

IMG_2167.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG

And the finished project:

IMG_2178.JPG

Cheers,

Adrian

That turned out excellent :encourage:

Now to find the uninsulated B&D drill to match it; I damn near got electrocuted by one of them back in the 1950s.

Like this one on Ebay? :)
1614632425963.png

No, the one that I had was a 1/4" size. Those were the days before U ground plugs, there was just a pigtail wire sticking out the side of the plug to connect to what?

I remember that, this one has it too. I wonder if this is the type that's supposed to go with this press?

My dad a similar B&D press and the matching 1/4” drill which this battery version is a copy of. Dad gave it away after 50 plus years of use.
Pierre

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
It looks like it would accomodate a large varieties of drills of different sizes.

A bit more digging in my friend's basement and we came up with the matching drill. It is a 5/8" Black and Decker 576 Heavy Duty.

IMG_2182.JPG

I stripped it down to inspect and clean. 70 year's worth of assorted dirt/crap inside the motor housing (brought in by the cooling fan).

IMG_2180.JPG

IMG_2179.JPG

They made things well back then. The reduction gear box is all running in roller and ball bearings. Not a plain bushing in sight!

The reversing switch is a large collar on the back of the drill that rotates between three detents (fwd, off, rev). After a good cleaning everything went back together and it runs beautifully. Now to find it a new home.

IMG_2181.JPG

Cheers,

Adrian

Back