Blade Brush

petertha

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I got looking at my brush and (aside from the mung) looks like this stock photo. It looks somewhat ineffective, the blade is splicing the brush bristles. I'm thinking about making a replacement part with 2 brushes on either side of the blade (red arrows) in conventional brush mode. Am I missing something obvious here?

1-2-2017 0002.jpg

I agree that a rotating brush would be better, but any brush is better than no brush at all. It would certainly be worth trying out the two brushes with one on either side.

My HF 7 x 12 has a rotating brush which does a pretty good job. You could convert over to a rotary brush without too much trouble. Start with a 3" wire wheel and mount it on the existing bracket. Otherwise you might have to fab something using a stock wire brush.

Bruce

Interesting. does the rotary action re-direct the chips away or is it just another method to keep the teeth from clogging?

All I know is, my current setup results in bearings with a good coating of chips & especially with the wheel in behind the guard/cover. It probably doesn't help cutting in table mode where the chips go down by both blade direction + gravity over the bearings before even seeing the brush. But even in lay-down chop saw mode I get pretty rapid buildup. I don't flood coolant, I just squirt. Think I'll try & rig something up & try opposed brushes, cant hurt.

Back