Blade Jumping Off The Lower Wheel Of A 4" X 6" Bandsaw

I had problems with the blade jumping off the wheels of my 4x6.
I first cleaned the wheels with brake cleaner. I then used a straight edge to make sure the wheels were coplaner. I had to shim the top wheel out slightly.

Those checks helped but what helped the most was increasing the blade tension. Now if blade stalls it does not come off the wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The two back issues you want are about ⅔ of the way down the page -
View attachment 337670
I'd love to scan and send you the pages, but am not allowed to until HSM runs out of copies.

My cylinder makes use of the unique O-ring seat in a screen door closer - fast opening (raising the saw) and dead stop on closing (lowering the saw). When closing a screen door, a separate air bleed valve controls closing speed. I block off the bleed valve and add a coaxial needle valve to the piston; use drugstore mineral oil as a working fluid.
No issues :) I have that one.
Your system works, DON'T FIX IT!!!!

So I want to ask a few questions to the group. How do I start?
How do I post a picture? I got NO instructions here?

b

The first step to asking a question is to decide which forum is most appropriate - this one, or one of the more specific ones dedicated to specific manufacturers. Then you click on the orange "Post thread" button (near the upper right of the title screen for the forum), add a title, then start typing.

There are two basic ways to add photos. (1) You can click on the "(paperclip symbol) Attach files" box to the lower left of the typing window and select files from your computer. (2) You also can drag and drop files (one at a time) from your computer into the text window. As far as I know, either of these processes will accept "the usual" image files, plus PDF and maybe some others.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. And say hello to the Spruce Goose for me, next time you visit the museum! I used to live in Corvallis and visited McMinnville and the wine country a goodly number of times.

hman:
That is part of my issue, I don't have a grasp on which forum I should post these questions to?
Would hate to miss the answer because I posted to a wrong forum? If it was something simple like how to tram my RJ mill, I would know that. This question I think has much broader applications and I also don't feel I would find the answer in that forum.
I want to find out if anyone has done optical alignment of tools? So mills , lathes, grinders, all sorts of toys in the precision end could use this. I know it seems like a lot of the guys seem to think they really get into the precision end of things and I would like to learn from some of this stuff and perhaps bring a bit of insight from the micron and submicron world I came from.
Mind you I would not even THINK of delving into that end myself again, especially at home where about the best thermal control I could hope for is +/- 10 deg. F and for what I'm doing even THAT would be a stretch. I did however learn of techniques and methods, I might be able to share should anyone actually want to go there.
Right now I want to know if anyone has used a collimator to re-align a round column mill, (See why I don't do precision any more? I'm thinking of trying it, but if someone has been there and done that and it SUCKS! I don't want to waste the money. What is really unfortunate about this was I had the perfect one to try it with, But gave it to a school 5 years ago.

Thanks for the insight.

b

hman:
That is part of my issue, I don't have a grasp on which forum I should post these questions to?
Would hate to miss the answer because I posted to a wrong forum? If it was something simple like how to tram my RJ mill, I would know that. This question I think has much broader applications and I also don't feel I would find the answer in that forum.
I want to find out if anyone has done optical alignment of tools? So mills , lathes, grinders, all sorts of toys in the precision end could use this. I know it seems like a lot of the guys seem to think they really get into the precision end of things and I would like to learn from some of this stuff and perhaps bring a bit of insight from the micron and submicron world I came from.
Mind you I would not even THINK of delving into that end myself again, especially at home where about the best thermal control I could hope for is +/- 10 deg. F and for what I'm doing even THAT would be a stretch. I did however learn of techniques and methods, I might be able to share should anyone actually want to go there.
Right now I want to know if anyone has used a collimator to re-align a round column mill, (See why I don't do precision any more? I'm thinking of trying it, but if someone has been there and done that and it SUCKS! I don't want to waste the money. What is really unfortunate about this was I had the perfect one to try it with, But gave it to a school 5 years ago.

Thanks for the insight.

b
I'd drop your question into the General Home Machine Shop Discussions.

I seem to recall seeing posts in the past that contined the terms "autocollimator" and "collimator" in them. I suppose you could use the "search" function (right end of the upper tool bar) for either one of those, then open one of the links

Back