[Newbie] Blasting

This has to qualify as the most loconic post of the year. Sort of implies the need for more info, maybe?

Elijah, the medium used would depend on the item being blasted. What metal is it made of, is it corroded, painted, etc. What type of rig are you using? Do you have a counter-top blast cabinet or are you using an open-air blast unit?

Input...need input... :p

I tried it with air only once. It did a good job of cleaning off the loosely attached dust but not so much to the grease and grime and absolutely nothing to the rust.

Other than that I have had good results with blasting media with everything from baking soda to silicon carbide. Everything has its' place and time depending on what you are doing. Just remember softer materials for softer work pieces. You can just about ruin a piece of aluminum by hitting it with garnet and steel shot and fiberglass corvette body panels are a disaster. I mean unless you are into frayed corvette body panels and aluminum that can be used as a really hard sanding sponge.

But the biggest consideration is what result you seek. Fill us in on what that is and we can point you in the correct direction.

Back