Blind Hole Bearing Puller Tool

I dont believe the needle bearings can be removed hydraulically. That requires a solid bushing type bearing, no way for the grease to get out, other than pushing the bearing out. the cage of the needle bearings would leak like the proverbial sieve. Before considering removing the bearing I'd look at the shaft that runs in it. If it looks distressed, they it will need ground in addition to replacing the bearing.

I dont believe the needle bearings can be removed hydraulically. That requires a solid bushing type bearing, no way for the grease to get out, other than pushing the bearing out. the cage of the needle bearings would leak like the proverbial sieve. Before considering removing the bearing I'd look at the shaft that runs in it. If it looks distressed, they it will need ground in addition to replacing the bearing.
It works just fine with needle bearings if you use wheel beating grease. They are common enough as pilot bearings on some cars. I have never used any thing but grease, I can't speak for other methods like bread or wet paper towels.

Thank you all for this thread.
I'm rebuilding a Millrite for a friend.
I've got new gears in the knee, now working powerfeeds. The bearings on Z axis 3ph motor are audibly chunk-chunk when turned by hand.
I've not pulled bearings before. Thanks for the thread.

Daryl
MN

I have the style of blind bearing puller like you showed in your original post. I have used it for a couple of decades now mainly on motorcycles, but other items too. It works well IF, the interference fit is not too tight, the cage and rollers hold together in place and especially if there is a small flange on the inside. The hydraulic method works well also but again, if the interference fit is too tight this doesn't always work.

Mike.

I found linseed oil window glazing putty works best on needle bearings, used it many times with bronze bushes as well, if they're really tight it feels and sounds like hitting solid metal with the drift, but never fails to move them.

Bernard

glazing putty sound like the best alternativetive so far, just for maybes how about silly puddy ??

Have in mind the forces involved here, unless the part is very big be sure to support the bearing housing on a solid metal base to prevent knocking out the end of the blind hole, Cast iron parts can easily be broken by using this method.

Bernard

Well dang,I had my mind all made up but now re-thinking it.The glazing compound sure sounds good besides the fantastic ideal of this method.Like Mike said its should be just an interference fit,I may just go ahead and just give it a try,what tha heck.Using this method if it don't work all I have to do is just clean up the mess.Like Daryl said this is a good learning post

Sounds like the more non-compressible the liquid the more power it has.

Daryl
MN

Back