Blocked And Insulted By Ebay!

markba633csi

Mark Silva
H-M Supporter Gold Member
First time for everything I guess. So I was interested in a machine part on Ebay and after asking (apparently) one question too many, the seller writes me a ranting note about how he's losing money on the deal, and how long it's taking to sell this stuff, etc. He says I "crossed the line" and it's not worth his time. I think the guy needs a major attitude adjustment- what do you think? Funny thing is, I was just about ready to buy. And still would, if he "allowed" me to. Weird, and disappointing since no one else seems to have just that style of part. I see he has one other complaint along the same lines. It was a 5" steel ball crank handle. Anybody have one?handle1a.jpg
Mark S.

I feel your pain, I've encountered sellers who think we're here to serve them, not the other way around.

Is that a pic of yours? If the center hole is bad? You can re-bush it and save it;)...Dave

Obviously I wasn't a part of the transaction so I don't know how it went, but I have definitely dealt with buyers who can get frustrating and take a lot of time on a small sale. Usually the most frustrating are the ones who ask questions about details that are spelled out clearly in the description. Repeated rounds of questions, especially on low-dollar items, really can be a problem as a seller. Again, I have no idea if that's what happened here, just trying to share some perspective. I can see a situation where someone would get really frustrating like that and put me in a bad mood and then I end up overly sensitive about that with some other buyer the same day.

Regardless of how it actually happened, as others have indicated it's clearly not a good fit as buyer and seller. That crank handle seems like a fairly common design so one should come up from another seller before long.

I've been selling quite a few Erector sets from my collection on eBay (seller name 'bghansen'). I try to describe the item(s) as well as I can and post lots of photos. Have to admit that on a $0.99 item I had listed, after 6 or 8 questions from one perspective buyer I just stopped answering the questions. Yes, it was getting annoying, but took the "no response is better than a snotty response" approach. Probably would have better just to answer the question.

If you are asking questions of a seller, maybe consider asking all of your questions in one shot. Guess what I'd ask on the crank picture above are: 1) Do you know what machine it came off from? 2) Can you measure the inside hole of the center ball? 3) If you can't measure the hole with calipers, can you try sticking drill bit shanks through the hole and tell me which one is the closest fit?

If the seller felt put out by those questions, you probably don't want to deal with them anyhow.

Bruce

1) Do you know what machine it came off from? 2) Can you measure the inside hole of the center ball? 3) If you can't measure the hole with calipers, can you try sticking drill bit shanks through the hole and tell me which one is the closest fit?

If the seller felt put out by those questions, you probably don't want to deal with them anyhow.

Bruce
Good point. Just move on. There alot of great deals to be had on eBay, but occasionally u get some "personality" ...I had a guy read me the riot act on a low best offer i made, told me the eBay and PayPal fees ...I just said sorry and we ended up doing business. Gotta love eBay

my respone is this, i don't usually sell on ebay- here is why
a seller owes a buyer absolutely nothing but the product pictured.
the buyer expects gold plated service for little money, a strange dichotomy.
if every prospective buyer askes 2 questions about the item,
it prevents the seller from selling other items because his time is spent on answering questions regardless of wether he gets a sale or not.
ask yourself this question, how much time would you give to other people if the time was not compensated?
much less for an item that you may realize a $15 profit and then have to give part of that $15 to paypal and some to ebay to handle the transaction
now the seller made $8, and you'd like him to be happy about it and answer every question with a smile.
seems unfair from the sellers perspective.
in most cases the buyer will cry if he is hung with a new rope
treat the sellers like you would like to be treated.
if you are realistic, you'll rarely be disappointed.

My phosipoy is, if the seller posts clear pictures, some what decent description, he'll get my business. If his description is short or none and his pictures suck, he don't get my business. Simple as that. I can name three I will not do business with and two of them banned me from buying from them for no valid reason!

Back