Blue Demon helmets

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi all, wonder if anyone has experience with the Blue Demon 9300 or panoramic helmets?

Just get that Optrel. You are deep into welding now. Pony up buddy!!
My problem is the Optrel is over $600 in Canada... I have a hard time justifying that as a hobbyist.

There is a huge difference between a low end auto dark helmet and a high end one. There is much less difference once you go up a little in price past the lowly Harbor Freight. There is very little difference between low and high end in a fixed shade (passive) helmet. The only big thing I can think of is that a pancake helmet have a lot less annoying leakage of light from behind. I solve that problem by only welding during certain hours and facing in the right direction!

I have an older Esab autodark now but I have a really hard time seeing the puddle.
I have replacement lenses coming for it, I’ll see if that makes any difference in clarity.
There’s also a new Esab Sentinel A40. Might have a look at that as it has the same lens rating as both the Blue Demon and the Optrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My problem is the Optrel is over $600 in Canada... I have a hard time justifying that as a hobbyist.

Ouch. Yeah, I forgot you were from the great white north.
I did a search on the helmet you mentioned and as you found out too, there doesn't seem to be a lot reviews.

I have 2 Optrels, excellent helmets, but to me they are too big and bulky, i went back to the Speedglas SL (superlite), only 12-14 oz, and tight to the head.

Are you welding on a bench, on the ground, or crawling under, around a car chassis, and how important are your eyes?

Are you welding on a bench, on the ground, or crawling under, around a car chassis, and how important are your eyes?
At the moment only at a small bench for TIG, I don't have a large welding table to make large objects so when I made my tablesaw base that happened on the floor. :apologize:
I don't anticipate crawling under a car or anything...
My eyes ar very important to me...

Back