Blue Demon helmets

Happy ESAB Sentinel A50 owner here - I received a $200 rebate when I bought the Rebel 215i last year, that paid for a big part of the helmet.
I love the external grind button! Just gotta remember to punch it again when I'm back at the welding table...
I'm probably going to spring for the magnifying lens soon:(
Are you running too dark of a shade level on your current set up?

It’s currently set at just bit darker than 10. That feels about as light as I’d care to go I think even for low amperages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the proper way to set tint? I have gone down until I have visual spots after a short weld is done, then set it back darker.

So #10 seems to be ok then?

Since you've got fresh lenses on the way, try those first. Change the batteries (if you haven't already) when you change the lenses.
The OSHA chart says the minimum is #8 up to 150 amps for GTAW.
#10 is fine, if you can see. You may need to go down, not below 8...

My favorite helmet is a Miller Classic (about $80). I almost always use Shades 9 or 10. I never use anything less than 9 for arc welding. I have much more fancy helmets, but I almost always reach for the (slightly) more lightweight econo autodarkening hood.

I always use 2.5X cheaters. I find the Millers easy to set up for the cheater lens.

Two of my helmets don’t have the cheaters, and I use those helmets if I use my 3X or 5X eyeglasses.

I cannot weld without at least 2.25X magnification.

Last edited:
I've been at 9 for MIG

Since you've got fresh lenses on the way, try those first. Change the batteries (if you haven't already) when you change the lenses.
The OSHA chart says the minimum is #8 up to 150 amps for GTAW.
#10 is fine, if you can see. You may need to go down, not below 8...

Unfortunately it doesn’t have changeable batteries. the batteries cannot be changed without invasive surgery to the auto dark assembly.

Last edited:
My speedglas is 10 years old but I don't know how the older ones compare to the newer technology as far as sensitivity settings go especially if you plan on doing a lot of Tig welding.
This thread on the welding web is a good read:

Back