Boice-Crane model 2309 14" vertical bandsaw

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've got a 17" vertical bandsaw for wood, but I've been wanting one that would run slow enough for metal as well. I just brought home a Boice-Crane model 2309 floor mount 8-speed bandsaw. It has a 4 step pulley with a 2 speed gearbox. Blade FPM 92-4100. Blade size 3/16"-3/4". Runs nice and quite. Tires, bearings, etc. look in great shape. I never heard of this brand before but it appears to be a very good construction. Made in Ohio in 1955.

I paid $400 for it... Is that a fair price or is it on the high end?

Thanks for the input,
Ted

You got a great saw with good capacity at a low end price - assuming the bearings and guides are all in good shape. A new saw of similar capability would set you back at least 3-4 times what you paid. 10 times for a premium saw.

Boice Crane made light industrial stuff - very good quality. I have a 6" BC jointer that I think well of.

yeah - pictures, please!

Here you go!
20170701_085623.jpg
20170701_085642.jpg
20170701_085708.jpg
20170701_085728.jpg

Looks like a good one, interesting top blade guide bearing adjuster,
Yesterday I put a chip brush under table on my Doall to keep most chips away from tire.

I'd say that you did well. They are well made, but I think the blade size isn't a standard one. That's no big deal though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say that you did well. They are well made, but I think the blade size isn't a standard one. That's no big deal though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it does appear to not be that common. It's 98" (8'-2").

Where's a good place to buy blades? I used to buy from Enco when they had some of those great sales with free shipping:cry:. Man, I miss those! MSC's prices are not as good, but they do have good selection. I most likely will stick with carbon steel blades. I know they don't last as long, but if you hit something hard and ruin one I'd rather lose a $25 blade than a $50 dollar one!

Ted

Back