[4]

Boice Crane restoration/conversion

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

SubtleHustle

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Going to post my progress, this far, on my Boice Crane vertical bandsaw restoration and metal conversion. Some of this is already posted in the POTD thread, but I'd like to have a spot to post from beginning to the end. I picked up this bad boy from an older gentleman, on Craigslist, for $25. He had it stored outside, on his driveway, under a tarp, for only him and God know how long.
So first, some pics of original condition...
20181201_145140.jpg20181201_145537.jpg20181201_163324.jpg20181201_163335.jpg20181201_151308.jpg20181201_151325.jpg20181201_171854.jpg20181201_170916.jpg20181201_163352.jpg20181201_164514.jpg20181201_164321.jpg20181201_164944.jpg

SubtleHustle

Yeah, he wanted $50, but was wanting to get rid of it, before family came for the holidays. Told me that if I come get it, he'd give it to me for $25. I was there first thing next morning.

mikey

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Looking good! Boice Crane made light duty commercial stuff and had a pretty good reputation. I had one of their table saws and still own a jointer (restored but yet to be put back together). Missed a deal on a band saw just like yours.

Now that its in the right hands, I bet that saw will have a much better and more productive life. Congrats!

SubtleHustle

Looking good! Boice Crane made light duty commercial stuff and had a pretty good reputation. I had one of their table saws and still own a jointer (restored but yet to be put back together). Missed a deal on a band saw just like yours.

Now that its in the right hands, I bet that saw will have a much better and more productive life. Congrats!
Thanks Mikey! I'm happy to have the chance to bring this one back to life. Since the owner was just basically giving it away, I'm sure it had one wheel already in the scrap pile. I am gonna give it my best, and I'm sure she will repay me with many more years of service!

SubtleHustle

Thanks to A LOT of help and advice from JimDawson, I should have all of her new parts in next week. Had the 2hp motor and a new bimetal blade arrive yesterday, should have a 10:1 gear box, tires, and her vfd arrive by Tuesday.

rwm

Active User
That looks really sweet! Nice work. Any way you could swap or modify the blade guides to be ball bearing? Might be more trouble than its worth?
Robert

SubtleHustle

That looks really sweet! Nice work. Any way you could swap or modify the blade guides to be ball bearing? Might be more trouble than its worth?
Robert
Actually, it was missing the lower angled guide, so I ordered an angled ball bearing one. It came in on Friday, but still working on cleaning up the lower guide bracket. Will post some pics when its cleaned up and installed.

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
That that is a right purty "Boice Crane" logo! Did you restore the original (if so, fantastic job!), or were you able to find a new one?

SubtleHustle

Hehe kinda just a temporary fix. I plan to paint it on, in the future, with a stencil. I will also stencil the "tensioner" side, but for now....and for a while, I just had a "Boice Crane" sticker made. Actually I had 6 made, because that was the minimum order. And i am still waiting to stick it on there. Right now, it is merely held on by a couple small pieces of tape. I figured that I'd give myself a couple days of looking at it, to decide whether I liked it or not, before I peeled the backing and committed to it.

On another note, if anyone wants a sticker for theirs, PM me. I'm sure I can get it to you, for the price of postage. It's not perfect, a tad bit pixelated. But, looks good from a foot or so away.

SubtleHustle

Also, let me add, I am replacing both of the plastic door knobs with matte finished metal ones. The originals were a bit chopped and cracking, plus I thing the metal ones plain look better.

SubtleHustle

Well my 2hp motor, right angle gearbox, and vfd came in. After getting off of work, I started building a stand for them. Needed to gain 6-5/8" so that the shafts between the saws lower wheel and the gearbox could meet. So this is what i was able to come up with, through my scrap pile....
20181218_180754.jpg20181218_180831.jpg20181218_181204.jpg
Not the prettiest, but a little welding, painting, and bolting and it should do nicely. And it brought the coupler to about spot on!:encourage:
20181218_181128.jpg
Anyways, thanks for looking. Should be able to get a little more done by this weekend, and hoping to get her running by the end of the weekend.

SubtleHustle

Well, the welding got put on hold...spent the day finding and buying my sons 1st truck. Should get to welding tomorrow.

SubtleHustle

Ok, got the motor stand all welded, the paint is gonna have to wait. I'm too close to being able to give her a test run, to want to wait for paint to dry. Getting vfd connected and setting the parameters, then all that's left is putting the blade on and testing her out. Fingers crossed!

SubtleHustle

Well, frustrating day for me. I got it all set up, and took a test cut... 1/8 steel bar, no problem, then tried 1" 1144, round stock, was cutting well to about half way through, then the drive wheel started slipping from the drive shaft. I figured that out, needed to tighten the set screws better. Went to put the belt back on, and reset the blade guides, then this happened....
20181224_151712.jpg20181224_151705.jpg
The bracket that holds the guides broke. It's my fault, I didn't think I was getting them right enough, and my dumb arse decided to grab some pliers.....so irritated with myself! So anyrate, guess she's down until I can come up with a solution to this heartbreaking ptoblem...

SubtleHustle

Meant to say " went to the put the BLADE back on"...

SubtleHustle

Yeah, am open to ideas for a fix. Have added a few photos. I have literally been sitting here for the past hour, just staring at this thing, trying to figure out a work around. I have never attempted welding aluminum, and my mediocre welding skills, will keep me from attempting that route..20181224_171025.jpg20181224_170945.jpg20181224_171050.jpg

rwm

Active User
And it may not be aluminum. May be Zamak.
Robert

SubtleHustle

Hadn't thought about that...well crap..

SubtleHustle

Maybe some jb weld would work on it... guess it would be hurt to try.

silverhawk

Registered
Perhaps glue it back together and re cast it in aluminum? Mill a new part if you have a mill?

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
That's not a large area for any kind of glue to hold on to. But you might want to try JB Weld to start with, then drill & tap across the joint. I can't tell exactly how large the area is, but maybe there'd be room for two 10-32 screws. The screws will hold the parts against each other, and the rough surface of the broken area will keep them from shifting sideways against each other.

PS - just noticed in your second picture that there's what appears to be a setscrew on the broken-off part. That might have been what caused the stress and produced the break in the first place. You'd probably want to find an alternate way to secure the guide to whatever it setscrews against, to avoid a repeat of the failure.

Alternatively, you could simply saw off the C-shaped section of the guide (including the mount for what looks like a height adjuster), machine a replacement out of aluminum or steel and screw/pin it on to the end of the remaining assembly.

Last edited:

SubtleHustle

I might have thought of a fix, will keep you all posted. However, it will have to be after Christmas. Will be putting my minimal milling skills to the test, but hey guess there's no better reason to bone up on some of my lesser skills.

SubtleHustle

That's not a large area for any kind of glue to hold on to. But you might want to try JB Weld to start with, then drill & tap across the joint. I can't tell exactly how large the area is, but maybe there'd be room for two 10-32 screws. The screws will hold the parts against each other, and the rough surface of the broken area will keep them from shifting sideways against each other.

PS - just noticed in your second picture that there's what appears to be a setscrew on the broken-off part. That might have been what caused the stress and produced the break in the first place. You'd probably want to find an alternate way to secure the guide to whatever it setscrews against, to avoid a repeat of the failure.

Alternatively, you could simply saw off the C-shaped section of the guide (including the mount for what looks like a height adjuster), machine a replacement out of aluminum or steel and screw/pin it on to the end of the remaining assembly.
Your alternate suggestion is basically what I had in mind.

SubtleHustle

Well currently rigged up, to take more test cuts, and easily cut 1" 1144! Great news! At 20hz, it's running at about 200 fpm, with great torque, and zero issues. At 60hz, about 625 fpm,Turns out to be a great metal cutting bandsaw! Not able to count the rpm at any faster speed by eye, will have to get my tach mounted first.Just need to get this blade guide assembly problem behind me, and should be good to go!

[6]
[5] [7]