Boice Crane restoration/conversion

That that is a right purty "Boice Crane" logo! Did you restore the original (if so, fantastic job!), or were you able to find a new one?

Hehe kinda just a temporary fix. I plan to paint it on, in the future, with a stencil. I will also stencil the "tensioner" side, but for now....and for a while, I just had a "Boice Crane" sticker made. Actually I had 6 made, because that was the minimum order. And i am still waiting to stick it on there. Right now, it is merely held on by a couple small pieces of tape. I figured that I'd give myself a couple days of looking at it, to decide whether I liked it or not, before I peeled the backing and committed to it.

On another note, if anyone wants a sticker for theirs, PM me. I'm sure I can get it to you, for the price of postage. It's not perfect, a tad bit pixelated. But, looks good from a foot or so away.

Also, let me add, I am replacing both of the plastic door knobs with matte finished metal ones. The originals were a bit chopped and cracking, plus I thing the metal ones plain look better.

Well my 2hp motor, right angle gearbox, and vfd came in. After getting off of work, I started building a stand for them. Needed to gain 6-5/8" so that the shafts between the saws lower wheel and the gearbox could meet. So this is what i was able to come up with, through my scrap pile....
20181218_180754.jpg20181218_180831.jpg20181218_181204.jpg
Not the prettiest, but a little welding, painting, and bolting and it should do nicely. And it brought the coupler to about spot on!:encourage:
20181218_181128.jpg
Anyways, thanks for looking. Should be able to get a little more done by this weekend, and hoping to get her running by the end of the weekend.

Well, the welding got put on hold...spent the day finding and buying my sons 1st truck. Should get to welding tomorrow.

Ok, got the motor stand all welded, the paint is gonna have to wait. I'm too close to being able to give her a test run, to want to wait for paint to dry. Getting vfd connected and setting the parameters, then all that's left is putting the blade on and testing her out. Fingers crossed!

Well, frustrating day for me. I got it all set up, and took a test cut... 1/8 steel bar, no problem, then tried 1" 1144, round stock, was cutting well to about half way through, then the drive wheel started slipping from the drive shaft. I figured that out, needed to tighten the set screws better. Went to put the belt back on, and reset the blade guides, then this happened....
20181224_151712.jpg20181224_151705.jpg
The bracket that holds the guides broke. It's my fault, I didn't think I was getting them right enough, and my dumb arse decided to grab some pliers.....so irritated with myself! So anyrate, guess she's down until I can come up with a solution to this heartbreaking ptoblem...

Back