Boley and Leinen Watchmaker's Lathe Repair, Refurbish and Put it To Work!

BladesIIB

https://www.youtube.com/c/BladesIIB
H-M Platinum Supporter
My Uncle gave me this Boley and Leinen and I had a lot of fun going through it and cleaning it up a little, making one new shaft for the base mount and then cleaning up the motor and the base a little to get it fully operational. The lathe was in such good shape that it really did not need much, I helped with the cosmetics a little but it seems to run as well now as the day it was made which was many days ago. Good German engineering and manufacturing. Fun little thing to tinker with. Also good learning on how to get the headstock apart and back together.

Looks to be in great shape. It is for metal working, not woodworking. A watchmaker can machine to micron tolerance with hand gravers. pristine collets are necessary to machine tight tolerance watch parts.

Good to know. When looking up information about the lathe I saw that a screw fed cross slide was an option and figured that was required for metal working. I never thought of machining metal to that tolerance holding a tool by hand on the current tool rest? Truly skilled craftsmen. Many of the collets are in great shape. I will have to put a dial on one and see how accurate it is running.

I just got a Derbyshire Elect last Friday. Has a decent set of collets and is in great condition for being made in 1942. Would love to know what you may use it for.

Here are a few videos with ideas...

ACHiPo, Thanks for sharing! I will be checking out those videos.

Last edited:
Back