Bolo Tie Slide

Fabrickator

Active User
Registered
I was playing on my new compound angle plate the other day and came up with a cool piece that I made into a Bolo Tie Slide. The main, mild, long "ramps" were made with the angle plate set at 5* and cut with a 1 1/2" end mill on the rotary table. For the steeper "point tip" back-cut angles I added 10* on the compound angle and used the RT. Then, I machined the center on the lathe to accommodate an inlay piece of nice, fiery Abalone Shell I found on the inter web. I picked up the braided leather cord, cord tips and clamp piece at the local Tandy Leather shop for another few bucks. After polishing it, I used a jewelry epoxy glue (HF) to put it all together. It's really flashy in different lighting with greens, blue and pinks. Cost me less than $25 to make.

Rick

G0602 Lathe
LMS Mini mill w/ RT & compound angle plate

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0432.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

Rick, you really do some neat stuff! What metal did you use?

Thanks. I just used some 6061 aluminum I had around. Funny, when polished, and at a glance-it almost looks like sterling silver and Abalone looks like Opal to the novice eye.

Very nice. I really like the design.
And the way you made it is pretty neat too!

This gives me an idea, although I think I'll cut mine in a dense foam and cast it in PM. I have a piece of ammolite I have been looking for something to do with and a bolo seems to be the perfect fit.

Back