Bolton HA330 Project

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Finally had a chance to check out the lathe as yesterday evening was spent helping our daughter with student loans for her masters program.

Stuff fits into one of three categories, bent, broken, and just needs improvement. There were a bunch of not very tight fasteners, I don't know if they were loosened at some point or just that way from the factory but I'm figuring the latter so everything needs to be checked over regardless of if it's busted or not.

Here's the machine as it landed in my shop, surprisingly it's almost exactly the same color I painted the Craftsman that I traded for it.

DSCN1439.JPG

First I pulled all the control rods.

DSCN1459.JPG

I figure I can straighten these out with a little finesse, at least good enough to make replacements if needed. You can see the shaft sleeve is broken which is a part I may try to source from a similar machine.

Then I pulled the apron and found a broken screw nut seat.

DSCN1463.JPG

If the terms I'm using seem strange that's because I'm going from what the parts list calls them so I can hopefully cross-reference things.

The cross slide screw is definitely bent but that may have to wait a while.

DSCN1461.JPG

The gearbox seems fine.

DSCN1465.JPG

And the electrical looks good.

DSCN1467.JPG

Of course the biggest issue is the gap which decided to separate and go for a tumble down the highway on the ride home.

DSCN1447.JPG

DSCN1441.JPG

@Aaron_W suggested JB Weld which I didn't think was such a great idea at the time but I am seriously considering some sort of epoxy, maybe the 3M Titanium stuff I used in my race engines.

Well, I definitely have some work ahead of me but I'm confident I can make it into a capable machine eventually. Please chime in if you have suggestions for other makes/models that may have similar parts, It looks like all the other 13 or 14 x 40's coming out of China. It was built in 2012 and from what I can tell it was never really used from new since it appears to still have the factory cosmoline on it's bed and other parts.

John

There is a guy in Georgia that converts Bolton lathes to CNC and sells the take off parts. I don't know if he will ship but here's a link to one of his ads.

I picked up some parts a few years ago and he has everything you need. I mean pallets of lead screws, aprons and boxes of hand wheels with their leads crews (cross slide). Obviously, he uses the gap you need so you'll have to repair yours.

Looks like the CI is pretty thin on that gap insert. In addition to the epoxy of your choice, I'd be inclined to use some sort of mechanical reinforcement like a steel plate, probably spanning beyond both sets of mounting holes.

Looks like the CI is pretty thin on that gap insert. In addition to the epoxy of your choice, I'd be inclined to use some sort of mechanical reinforcement like a steel plate, probably spanning beyond both sets of mounting holes.
This would be my approach as well. As the existing fasteners are located where it cracked, you really should place new fasteners. Maybe 2 for each half of the gap which also engage a plate to hold them together. Because of the way it cracked through the fasteners, I would be suspicious that the gap does not locate on the lathe very well and the fasteners created stress when they were tightened, eventually leading to the crack.

Steel pins in holes before expoy.

This would be my approach as well. As the existing fasteners are located where it cracked, you really should place new fasteners. Maybe 2 for each half of the gap which also engage a plate to hold them together. Because of the way it cracked through the fasteners, I would be suspicious that the gap does not locate on the lathe very well and the fasteners created stress when they were tightened, eventually leading to the crack.

I think the gap took a solid hit when all of that damage happened. One good sideways hit to the front way would break/crack the cast iron thru the front bolts. The vibrations from riding on the trailer just shook it loose.

I think the gap took a solid hit when all of that damage happened. One good sideways hit to the front way would break/crack the cast iron thru the front bolts. The vibrations from riding on the trailer just shook it loose.

This was my thought as well. There is enough damage to the lathe to suggest it fell onto it's front face. Fixable but unfortunate.

That’s what I figure too, I don’t think the guy who had it before had any idea it was cracked I certainly didn’t. I’m pretty sure with all the knowledge here I’ll be able to get it fixed though.

John

Oh, his add was clear it had dropped. I just figure there’s no way I could ever make a 6” Craftsman do what this one can.

John

Back