Bolton HA330 Project

This machine is set-up for 3 phase and as much as I'd like to convert it to a VFD for variable speed I think the smart move will be getting a static phase converter. Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks,

John

I pulled the apron off today and found one more broken part, have sent my parts list off to the folks @Firstram told me about so we'll see just how much I can buy vs. fix or make. So far there's nothing that looks like it'll stop me from making it into a working machine. There is absolutely no wear on this thing at all, I think the guy's father bought it just to have it and then it got dropped during a move and never fixed.

There's no room on the top of the broken gap piece so I think any additional support will need to come from the side. I'll probably drill and tap it to attach a piece of 3/8 steel plate. That way I can run it before committing to any epoxy fastening.

John

This machine is set-up for 3 phase and as much as I'd like to convert it to a VFD for variable speed I think the smart move will be getting a static phase converter. Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks,

John
I have the same one on a Bridgeport with a 2 HP motor. I've had the mill for 3 years, never had an issue with the unit. Guess I'm only getting 1.3 HP because of the loss with the static converter. A step-pulley BP has a 1 HP motor, so I'm still better than one of those. Haven't stalled a tool yet, but I rarely push a machine.

Bruce

I have the same one on a Bridgeport with a 2 HP motor. I've had the mill for 3 years, never had an issue with the unit. Guess I'm only getting 1.3 HP because of the loss with the static converter. A step-pulley BP has a 1 HP motor, so I'm still better than one of those. Haven't stalled a tool yet, but I rarely push a machine.

Bruce
Thanks, I'll order one as it seems the best (cheapest) option and made here in the USA....

John

You say you have a parts list. Do you also have an Owners Manual with a specification sheet?
If you do, it should tell you what type of spindle nose you have. I would be interested to know.

You say you have a parts list. Do you also have an Owners Manual with a specification sheet?
If you do, it should tell you what type of spindle nose you have. I would be interested to know.

Thanks, it's a funky bolt on affair not anything standard. I've moved that discussion over here.

Just in case somebody is looking for it later.

John

I figured it would be good to fire her up before putting too much work in so I bought a static phase converter and hooked it up. It runs smooth and fairly quiet and I doubt it had ever been set-up to make anything so I'm pretty confident it'll be a worthy project.

My first inclination was to do a VFD conversion but I wanted to see how the stock controls worked first. After some investigation and adjustment I'm definitely convinced that the conversion will be a good idea and it's worth doing sooner rather than later.

I think I have a non-destructive, reversible plan for fixing the gap and have located stock to make the leadscrew and control rods from if I can't buy replacements. I now have an oxy-acetelyne rig so I'll try my hand at brazing the other cast iron bits that are broken.

John

Made some progress this weekend, I didn't take pictures of it but yesterday I fabricated the new full length "forward board" that holds the front of the carriage down. Made it from two pieces of tool steel I bought from McMaster-Carr. Harbor Freight transfer punch was my friend there.

Today I fitted the apron hand wheel and actually made some chips with her.

IMG_8927.jpg

Then I needed a keyway, good thing I have a die filer.

IMG_8929.jpg

Who needs a broach?

handwheel.jpeg

And we're moving along.

apronon.jpeg

John

A die filer! I love it! Those machines are getting rarer as time goes by. Looks like things are coming together nicely, John.

Back