Bolts They Say Do Not Remove Because They Are Set At Factory?

That's the same as I described above, maybe simpler. You don't want remove the bolts on the turret, because they connect to an inner ring that will fall down in the casting.

And the turret will fall off if you remove all 4. That part inside is called a spider, IIRC.

If the mill in question is the BP series I or a step-pulley version that has a similar head, the turret won't fall off ........
IF the ram/head are moved to the rear as far as practical; it's just a matter of balancing the weight.
But, taking out all 4 bolts won't do much good if the BP column casting is solid, i.e. no side access door.

The older BPs Series I had a side door that allowed access to the "spider". Even some of the clones had the side door.
I've repaired a few of those spiders due to stripped threads (don't ask how...) but they were all of the type that had the door.
As an aside, putting in a riser can be a challenge with solid columns.

Textron, in its efforts to reduce manufacturing cost made somewhat of a mess of the BP machines
by eliminating some of the features that made BP the machine that it was. And their QC was not up to par.
I can relate personal experiences with problems that came on new BPs once Textron got hold of them.

LOL...I only said that to make people pay attention. If it isn't balanced, yes, it can fall off, so I encourage people to have their lifting setup made and be ready to take the weight once they do removed all those bolts.

And I totally agree about the risers. Don't care for them anyway. A necessary evil I suppose.

So what does these bolts do and how do you set them correctly? I need to take the head apart to prep it for paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what does these bolts do and how do you set them correctly? I need to take the head apart to prep it for paint

If I'm not mistaken... I think it is pretty well explained in the replies above.

That's Jim. I don't want to screw up my first machine and the restoration guide doesn't mention it

Back