[How-To] Books in the shop

The only book that I keep in my shop is those that are used on particular machines and are kept in drawers, such as the B&S practical treatise on milling and milling machines, mainly for the tables for indexing and spiral cutting; for my lathe I just have a folder in a back bench drawer regarding change gearing for special threads, all the manuals and my Gerstner toolbox with machinery's handbook are kept in my shop office in a bunch of filing cabinets, in there also is my Gorton engraver, a surface plate and hardness testers and most all my precision tools.

My shop has a small office area, mainly for my CAD computer. I have a bookshelf there, plus a file cabinet for data sheets, etc. I have 4-drawer file cabinet in the main shop. Of course, one of the drawers is dedicated to sandpaper. But I do have some manuals, etc. in the other drawers.

I keep manuals in the shop, in a file cabinet. Reference material, mostly stays in the house.

I have a book shelf in the shop. I've got small machines which are relatively clean (no flood coolants, chips are fairly well contained locally etc) and all my really dirty stuff, grinding, welding, wood working is done outside. If I start to find it is an issue I suppose I could hang a curtain or add some doors to the book shelf, but 2 years and so far it hasn't been a problem.

For manuals I keep one of the file folder boxes (plastic) in the garage, and in the basement. The garage is for all tractor, power washer, generator, etc manuals.
The one in the basement is all my power tool manuals...

For books, the machinist handbook, and a couple of other reference books are in the shop.
The rest are upstairs where I can use them for planning/ designing.

You
I have a book shelf in the shop. I've got small machines which are relatively clean (no flood coolants, chips are fairly well contained locally etc) and all my really dirty stuff, grinding, welding, wood working is done outside. If I start to find it is an issue I suppose I could hang a curtain or add some doors to the book shelf, but 2 years and so far it hasn't been a problem.
are just too darn clean Aaron!

I keep the equipment manuals and parts books in an old file cabinet in the shop. My Machinery Handbook and a set of the little black books is in a drawer of the roll around top cabinet. There are a few "project" & "how to do" files in the file cabinet. I have posters for thread information that I bought, drill sizes and the like. My local Motion Industries outlet had the big poster of drill sizes, Imperial and Metric, as a free handout to customers. I need to get an internet hook up in my shop area. I don't use the cutting fluid system on my lathe and rarely use the Mister/ dribbler on the mill so shop stays pretty clean.

You
are just too darn clean Aaron!

Just wait until I post photos of those two oilers you gave me, I got them all cleaned up and they are beautiful, seems a shame to put oil in them. :)

My books are in the house. My wife allows up to three on the coffee table before she starts squawking. The rest are in the basement bookshelf. Manuals are in the cupboard/cabinet thing in the garage. When I need those, I don't want to have to take my shoes off and walk downstairs for them.

Most of my books are cookbooks inherited from my father.

I have a machinery’s handbook in the appropriate drawer in my toolbox, I have one other drawer which has manuals that occasionally get called on. I have a machining textbook on the floor next to my bed.

But, I mostly have this iPad and my computers.

I still love paper but being able to search anything that piques my interest immediately and save it for future reference really is a blessing. It never fails to amaze me how many times my searches bring me right back here.….

John

Back