Books on heat treating?

Agree, I always found the Workshop Practice Series are a good introduction on there topics.

I agree with Hawkeye. I recently borrowed a copy of that book and I learned alot. I still have more to learn and have to finish reading it. Currently at the cabin so I have the time but fishing comes first.

The ASM handbooks can be picked up used at reasonable prices, either in Amazon or eBay. However, I bought the one on heat-treating, and it's really more aimed at factory production.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

An old, public-domain book is The Working of Steel: Annealing, Heat Treating and Hardening of Carbon and Alloy Steel, by Fred H. Colvin and K.A. Juthe, published in 1921.
I have it on my Kindle, but may acquired it from The Guttenberg Project (www.guttenberg.ord) or from archive.org. For my entry-level heat treating, the book has seemed to do its job for the little bit of hardening, annealing, and tempering that I've done. As the title notes, this book only addresses steel. The original book apparently had about 140 figures, these were not included although the placeholding captions are present. Thankfully, the many data tables are present in the electronic version.

I stick to the info from the steel mills/suppliers. I second rgray's suggestion "Heat treatment, selection, and application of tool steels" By William E. Bryson.

Got it from the library at first. Then bought my own copy.

I read some books for a general knowledge base, but really what matters is the steel manufactures guidance. And the different metal sources do not agree with each other either. I use the manufactures or "brand" information as a starting point and let the end results tell me what to tweak. Its mostly trial and error, the books do give a starting point, thats all though. You also have to learn your HT furnace too, my current one runs little different than my last one. I make precision parts that have to fit together correctly, so maintaining the dimensions through heat treat takes some trail and error.

Back