Bored today, so I got the idea to make an angle index for my AXA toolpost.

Nice work. You could peen the washer tab with a round-nose punch to tighten its fit in the slot a little.

Nice work. You could peen the washer tab with a round-nose punch to tighten its fit in the slot a little.

The tab is a really good fit. The issue is as @francist mentioned earlier. The thickness of the washer is barely more that the thread pitch of the stud, so it's only contacting about 1 and a half threads on the back side.

The best fix would be a washer/pointer that's at least 3 or 4 times the thread pitch. But, then, the toolpost nut would only have a couple threads of engagement.

I made this stud a long time ago, from a piece of an old .223 barrel.

I'll probably make a longer stud at some point, purpose made for this application. When I do that, I'll leave an unthreaded portion that goes up high enough for a good, engagement with the pointer, and use a setscrew so there's zero movement.

What are you using for the engraving?

What are you using for the engraving?

A spring loaded diamond drag tool in a small CNC mill. I switched off the spindle and just let the machine drag the point around.

For really flat or cylindrical machined surfaces ant I can keep consistent enough in shape to easily model in CAD, I use a .028" ball mill, but stuff that's thin and hard to keep flat or hard to model the contours, get the diamond drag.

Last edited:
Just wanted to post an update on this project.

I made a new toolpost stud, with a shoulder that sits about .04" higher than the index ring. I made the shoulder about a thousandth of an inch bigger in diameter than the washer, then hand fitted the washer with a small half round file, taking a little at a time off the inside.

It's perfect now. There's no movement of the pointer whatsoever.

Accuracy seems really good too. When I index it to the threading position and check with a fish, it repeats to at least as accurate as the fish is capable of.

Back