boring a cylinder

Did you clean the bore with acid first? I have been told that if not, when your tool hits aluminum embedded in the cylinder walls it will damage the tool and mess up the rest of the bore being cut.

Chris

I've heard of muriatic acid being used to clean aluminium off cylinders but never met anyone who has actually done it if re-boring. If build up is thick enough it's quicker and easier to scrape or chisel it off. Basically, get rid of the worst ten set up and bore.
I've also heard a lot of theories about setting up for boring, majority are wrong for various reasons even though they work.

the engine rebuilder wasn't real keen on boring these for me...may have to go back and try again...

I'm not familiar with a douglas cylinder but one thing to consider is that the boring won't have to go all the way to the head surface. It will require an offset tool. I thought I had a larger offset tool but the only one I can find gets the cutting edge about .115 from the bottom of my boring bar.
Measurements of how high the piston travels in the cylinder and the height of the top ring will give an idea if that would do the job or not.
Ideally a cutter that protrudes below the boring bar would make the machinist feel safer doing this job. Cuttings piling up in the bottom can be a concern also if there is nowhere for them to go.
My pictured boring bar is an S model that has suction for chip evac but the shroud for the cutter to make this work well would not fit the extended offset cutter. The suction would still exac a percentage of chips but not as many.
20171009_090745.jpg

Doh, only just checked original post date - 2014
t would probably have mounted cylinders on a 'custom' angle plate bolted to cross slide. You can flycut with tool in chuck (or on faceplate) to make sure it's 'square' then mount cylinder to it with large diameter boring bar in chuck One thing I found when boring motorcycle cylinders, sometimes you have to 'spin' much slower witha feed around 0.004"/rev. Lot of toolbits required extra clearancing as well.

Last edited:
Back