Boring a hole for a magazie tube

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
OK guys I need to bore (cut, route) a hole (channel) in a piece of walnut for a magazine tube on a forearm blank for a winchester 1886 rifle. The forearm is going to be 19 inches long. how have you done it before or how would you go about it. The hole needs to be in the area of .720-.730 . I've seen some round 1/2", 5/8" burrs, was thinking of milling it in after the barrel channel was cut and then reaming it the final diameter....what do you folks think.

I haven't done that particular job but here's what I would do

That's a long hole. I would definitely bore from both ends. I would start with a 1/4" x 18"aircraft drill For a piece like that, I would use the lathe. First mark and drill for centers. Mount the forearm on the tailstock center and the drill in the chuck with a few inches sticking out. You will need to back out frequently to clear chips. Drill the length of the stick-out and extend the drill a few inches further. Continue this until you have drilled slightly past the half way point. Reverse the work and repeat. The two holes should intersect but most likely won't be completely in line. By extending the drill several inches further, you will bring holes in line. I would do this from both ends. Then I would follow through with a larger drill, 5/16" or 3/8". These holes should be coaxial.
Boring to final size presents a challenge. A .725" hole would require a 23/32" or 18.5mm drill. Finding an extended length drill in either size may be difficult. I have made extend length drills up 48" by making a coupling for 1/2" CRS rod and brazing/soldering or gluing it ti the shank of the required drill. Personally, I would consider making a custom tool. For drilling wood, it needn't be that hard. I would make it with a.single or double cutting edge and drilled for a pilot to follow the previously drilled hole.
When you get to the larger sized holes, you may want to turn inserts for the center to bear on to prevent the possibility of splitting the wood. I would definitely try the procedure on a piece of scrap before I did my work piece.

19" sounds awful long for '86. Winchester bored the hole with an auger bit on a horizontal boring machine first, then located the block on a fixture to finish the rest of the operations relative to the hole.

Thanks for responding guys. I'm trying to make the forearm similiar to that on a musket. It will extend to the end of the barrel. I'm working on the forend cap right now and have it about 1/3 done, started with a 1 3/4 round on the lathe and then went to the mill, lots of milling got it down to the major size. Tomorrow will be an interesting day. Wouldn't it be nice if someone made a round ball cutter like a 1/2" or 5/8" round ball burr on a 1/4 shank but for wood. I could just put the wood on mill and mill down the center of the wood.

A lot of times those are refereed to as lollypop cutters. Today is your lucky day.....Grizzly has them, and they call them radius bits. They have them in 1/4" shank in 1/2" and 3/4" diameter. They also have them in 1/2" shank all the way up to 1-1/4" dia. I use several of these to inlet stocks.
Look on page 504 in their new catalog.

That lollipop radius cutter from grizzly worked like a champ, whizzed right thru that wood.

Thanks to all that helped

Back