Boring A Hornady Die?

I own neither...but could maybe use a center cutting carbide endmill in the drill chuck and just peck at it.

I managed to open up the neck of a bottle neck rifle die using a carbide spade drill that was ground for the job. This was to convert a full length resizer to a body only sizer. There should not be a problem powering the cut even with a small lathe. If you need a funnel shaped hole then consider the spade drill (as used for drilling ceramic tiles). Do you grind carbide?

food for thought ,.. if you want to modify your die for both expanding and powder threw there will be quite a bit more to it then just opening up the back side of the die itself .

not only will you have to open up the back of the die body itself you will need to thread it or figure out some way of attaching the powder measure .
and you will also need to drill out the flaring spud itself . and it will be hardened .

i am going to go out on a limb and guess that you are wanting to seat bullets and crimp in a separate operation and cant do that with your powder measure using a station .
at least i cant think of any other reason to need to flare and drop powder at the same station .

lee powder threw dies are fairly cheap ... not much more then the carbide drill you will need to do your drilling

Noted...I've been comparing the powder through dies vs. this boring operation. If it was only 1 or 2, no brainer, but a half dozen+ dies to convert makes it a bit more interesting comparison.

It might be easier to make a universal die and individual flaring inserts for different calibers

7/8-14 bolts are ~$5. A bolt longer than a die leaves options for adapting to the powder drop.

I have made dozens of reloading dies.

Just grab a piece of stock and make what you want.

No need to ruin an existing die.

upload_2016-12-18_19-11-55.png

upload_2016-12-18_19-12-16.png

upload_2016-12-18_19-12-36.png

upload_2016-12-18_19-13-4.png

upload_2016-12-18_19-13-24.png

upload_2016-12-18_19-13-40.png

Big Bore, those are nice dies !!!

Back